Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 11-16-2014, 08:15 PM

Will you guys post a picture of the first block after you make it?
Old 11-16-2014, 09:47 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rhondals View Post
We will probably all be doing that! At least, I hope so...
Old 11-16-2014, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Rhondals View Post
Blocks don't come together till towards the end. We'll be making that units that go into the blocks. I plan to post my progress as I go along. Probably others will as well. And there's usually some guessing as to how it will all go together. That's part of the fun.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:10 AM

I've never done a mystery quilt and am curious as to how this will unfold. I'm busy with a project and won't join in on this one. Looking forward to seeing pictures of everyone's work. Have fun ladies!
Old 11-17-2014, 08:48 AM

You know, I may go with the blue/purple color instead of the pinks. I'll have to see when I pull my fabrics. I have A LOT of blue and purple.

Originally Posted by whitepine View Post
I think I made it over three times. Once as a kid. Once as a young adult and biked around the island. Once when I was older and by then you had to pay to go on the veranda. I never made it during lilac season which is supposed to be spectacular, with some of the lilacs being over 200 years old. When BH started talking about the flower that the hotel is known for I was sure she was going to say lilacs, but instead it was the geraniums on the porch.[ATTACH=CONFIG]499112[/ATTACH]
Old 11-17-2014, 09:20 AM

there is a really beautiful line of lavender fabrics featured in the quilt stores now.............hummmmmm....

but I have all the colors in my stash and must be frugal and use stash first
that rattly noise you hear is me thinking.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:41 AM

for those that have done BH's MQ before, I understand that she starts out with having us put certain sections and doing the blocks later. So do you just keep each section in it's own baggie? How do you keep your stuff organized?
Old 11-17-2014, 09:47 AM

I have the paint chips...now to shop my stash and get the fabric...
K
Old 11-17-2014, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by michelleoc View Post
for those that have done BH's MQ before, I understand that she starts out with having us put certain sections and doing the blocks later. So do you just keep each section in it's own baggie? How do you keep your stuff organized?
Yes, just keep each step in a separate bag. You could also printout and include instructions fore each step. I make notes and include these as well. It helps when I come back to finish up.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:02 AM

CindyA gave the newbies some helpful hints earlier in the thread, which I have quoted below. We're getting close!

Originally Posted by CindyA View Post
For newbies: I followed Bonnie's suggestion to do as much as you can each week when the clue is released for that week. The next week, when the next clue is released, just put the first week aside and move on to the second clue. Keep doing that as each clue is released. At least then you will be keeping up with what she's talking about and you'll have a little bit done of each step. So when she gets towards the end and you are starting to assemble the blocks you can see what the block(s) look like.

To keep myself organized (and it worked even though I'm not a naturally organized person) I kept each week in plastic bags. I happened to have the zipper kind that curtains or linens come in and used those. When I put aside an unfinished week (in order to move on to the next clue) I wrote myself a couple of notes and stuck it in the bag with the fabric to help me remember where to pick up again at a later date. Example: "have completed cutting all 2" squares and have sewn 30 out of the 45 four patches. Need to sew 15 more four patches to finish this clue."