Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 11-18-2014, 05:18 AM

I did exactly what was described by this post and when I had to pick it back up as a UFO (got interrupted halfway) I had no problems. Most segments were packaged and the two last clues were right with the pieces and parts in ziplocks. I'm almost finished. I can't wait for the new Quiltville mystery, Grand Illusion. We even have a FB group meeting in my area as the clues are released. This is going to be a lot of fun!
Old 11-18-2014, 05:23 AM

I appreciate all of you sharing your fabrics and paint chips as a Lowes store is not close to where I live and I may be able to pull something together from your pics - looks like fun.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:10 AM

I'm just getting back into quilting again, but still consider myself a newbie. I'm going to jump in and do the mystery quilt as a way of getting my feet wet again. I'm a knitter mostly and love KALs, it keeps me interested and I love the camaraderie! I love the look of scrappy quilts and the colors are right up my alley. I inherited my MIL fabric stash, so I'm hoping to pull a lot from there. I do know she had a lot of neutrals. I look forward to following and learning from all of you!
Old 11-18-2014, 07:00 AM

Donna: Probably one of the great advantage to having a stash that goes back many years. I've noticed the grass greens have disappeared in my local store, In favor of the shades that used to be called Avacado green.
Julie: Welcome to the Mystery and to the Board.
I finally couldn't wait so I started BH's Pineapple Blossom quilt. Using scraps, not that it is going to make a dent in my pile. It goes really fast, with a great result, I would definitely recommend it to anyone that wants to use scraps.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Yooper32 View Post
I think that I have most of the colors needed, but I am having a very hard time finding that particular shade of green in anything or anyplace. Very limited close fabric shopping and online, it is so hard to figure exactly what shade a color really is, sometimes, what you order is a far cry from the real shade.
You can use a different shade of green. Just be sure there is contrast between your green and aqua. Bonnie's colors are just a suggestion. This is your quilt so you can make it your own by choosing your own colors if that's what you want!
Old 11-18-2014, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Yooper32 View Post
I think that I have most of the colors needed, but I am having a very hard time finding that particular shade of green in anything or anyplace. Very limited close fabric shopping and online, it is so hard to figure exactly what shade a color really is, sometimes, what you order is a far cry from the real shade.
This is so true; shopping on line is hit and miss, and the quality of the photo representations on the websites varies widely fabric to fabric, even on the same site. Keep in mind that it isn't necessary to match the color card exactly, even if you are sticking to Bonnie's color scheme. Anything that looks generally grassy (not too yellow, not too blue) will probably go well.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:00 AM

I just caved on using only my stash/scraps (or lack thereof) ...failure of vision.

I ran out to Joanne's. They have a lot of grassy green. I am not as scrappy as our Fearless Leader (hah pun intended!!!) so I am using very similar greens, more tone on tone than KYITA. PM me for the rude explanation!
Old 11-18-2014, 03:13 PM

I started reading the posts about BH's MQ back when they started. Didn't know anything about it but am now educated. All of you are making it very hard not to participate! I got enough projects here waiting for me but I'm feeling left out!!! Plus I don't have time to go shopping for the fabrics I don't have with guests coming this weekend and having Thanksgiving dinner next week, appts, etc. I keep telling myself no.

Last edited by Cam's gram; 11-18-2014 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:27 PM

Resistance is futile!
Old 11-18-2014, 05:00 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cam's gram View Post
I started reading the posts about BH's MQ back when they started. Didn't know anything about it but am now educated. All of you are making it very hard not to participate! I got enough projects here waiting for me but I'm feeling left out!!! Plus I don't have time to go shopping for the fabrics I don't have with guests coming this weekend and having Thanksgiving dinner next week, appts, etc. I keep telling myself no.
Come on over to the 'dark side'... LOL! You can do it in your own time frame. There are plenty of people still finishing up the last MQ, Celtic Solace, and it ended quite a while ago.