Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 12-29-2014, 03:56 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Joy Higdon View Post
Since I have never done one of Bonnie's scrappy quilts, I would welcome any suggestions on how to quilt this one. Nothing like getting ahead of myself. Just want to be prepared. thanks
You probably want to wait to see what the pattern ends up looking like before you decide. Maybe by then the quilt will be 'speaking' to you.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:29 PM

I couldn't even think of the quilting just yet, I have the wadding and backing organised and I will be doing FMQ but don't know what pattern yet, although I don't have a huge range of patterns that I am happy to do on my machines, I must admit to be overdoing my stippling on my last few quilts, just because I needed to do them fast, but I will try and do something a bit different, depends on the pattern and what takes my mood!
Old 12-29-2014, 04:52 PM

I am old fashioned, but I really like to SITD on Bonnie's quilts, to emphasize the pattern that emerges with her quilts. It makes those sections stand out so nicely.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by huskyquilter View Post
Well, well, I hadn't thought of this, but went to the LQS to check some stuff out and ended up settling on a grey!
Love the grey you chose!! I like all of the colors in fact. Beautiful bold gem colored batiks ... mmmmmm.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
In the introductory post (where we got the color card numbers) Bonnie did tell us which of the colors on the card to be aiming at and which to avoid. For the aqua she said to match nearer the palest or medium chip, but avoid the darkest chip on the card. That one would look too close to the green we were supposed to be matching. And the green was supposed to be the darkest/brightest green on its card. She has some illusion in mind, and if you don't pay attention to the values of the colors, as well as the hues, yours won't have the same 'punch'.
Now bear in mind that I DID NOT go to Lowes to get paint chip cards.

When I first looked at Bonnie's intro which included the yardage and colors, and photo's of the hotel ... I did notice that the ceiling she referred to as "turquoise" in the photo's looked a bit more mint green than blue to me, but the photos of the paint chips and the photo's of her samples of turquoise looked to me what I would call blue ... or aqua.

So I agree with ... understand what SueSew is saying

That said ... I'm going with the color of "aqua" that I had in my stash, making sure none (OK .. most) are not so dark in value that they mimic the green.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:36 PM

I had originally planned to use a single fabric for each colour. But I didn't have quite enough of the turquoise I wanted to use, and the alternate just didn't play as nicely for me. So I switch to scrappy turquoise - which meant going scrappy for the pink and green, also. In the process, I morphed my colour palette a pretty long way from my original selection (which was based as best I could on the paint chip photos). I ended up with more of a grass green, a lighter pink, and a richer turquoise I think.
However, I love the way they all play together, and that is really the most important part - not necessarily to match Bonnie's choices but to like your end result. I tried to match her paint-chip colours really closely on Celtic Solstice, and was unfortunately very unhappy with my result (a very dark quilt). Probably the result of matching photos rather than real paint chips - but it's led me to trust my instincts more than the pictures.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
Whitepine: Right there with you on the spatial challenge thing. I was born left handed into an era that left handed was considered a disadvantage. My mother changed me to a righty. I swear its like doing everything in a mirror. I actually draw it out and literally put my finger on the square to make sure I'm positioning them correctly. The only real question is why would I take up quilting considering this problem?
We must be about the same age...my parents switched my to righty too...now I can do some things both handed so it may be an advantage...but sometimes it's a problem too. My granddaughter is a lefty...at least I could show her how to do some things. No one else is a lefty.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Joy Higdon View Post
Since I have never done one of Bonnie's scrappy quilts, I would welcome any suggestions on how to quilt this one. Nothing like getting ahead of myself. Just want to be prepared. thanks
Bonnie usually does an edge-to-edge panto on her quilts because they are so busy with all the different fabrics. In her books, and even the MQs, she mentions which panto she used.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:19 PM

Huskyquilter...I love the grey! I just finished step 1 & starting to sew step 2...can't jump from step to step without finishing the previous step...it totally makes for a UFO for me. As it's not a race & I got started 2 weeks late, I am behind; but if I just keep at it, it will get done!
Old 12-29-2014, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by JeanieG View Post
I am old fashioned, but I really like to SITD on Bonnie's quilts, to emphasize the pattern that emerges with her quilts. It makes those sections stand out so nicely.
I did the same on the other 2 of hers that I did...I agree with you about making it stand out.