Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 12-29-2014, 08:20 AM

I have loved every moment, QuiltingaddictUK. It's hard to explain just why it's so much fun, but it is. And I have learned a tremendous amount as well. That easy angle ruler, being able to make perfect HSTs with so little trouble, the clever ways of doing things like matching the strip sets before cutting, and just the warmth and enthusiasm associated with Bonnie in general. I'm so glad I decided to do the MQ, and it's all thanks to the thread that was started here. I hate to think what fun I'd be missing if I hadn't opened that thread and been caught up in the excitement!
Old 12-29-2014, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
Whitepine: Right there with you on the spatial challenge thing. I was born left handed into an era that left handed was considered a disadvantage. My mother changed me to a righty. I swear its like doing everything in a mirror. I actually draw it out and literally put my finger on the square to make sure I'm positioning them correctly. The only real question is why would I take up quilting considering this problem?
the thrill of the challenge...... like why people climb mountains....IMHO Quilting is warmer,,, usually
Old 12-29-2014, 09:28 AM

Okay, I figured out what I didn't love about my neutral batik was that it was a warm color, not a cool color. I picked up a grey batik to use and went at it and finished step two this weekend. I'm not 100% sure I'm in love with the grey, but there is not a snowball's chance I'm re-doing these. I read the instructions wrong and was all proud of myself when I finished cutting in a couple hours. Then it dawned on me that I had to sew two units together, so I had only cut enough for 50. But, between Friday, Saturday, and yesterday step 2 is complete! I'm going to make one of each of 3, 4, and 5 at some point this week though. I have such a hard time going on to the next step without finishing the former. My dad drilled it into me since I'm a little ADHD butterfly...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]504027[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails step-2.jpeg  
Old 12-29-2014, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by pjnesler View Post
What a great gift it was to have this weeks clue be simple and quick! All along as I've been working on this one I've been hoping we'd have some "string" blocks as in the first Bonnie mystery I did - Orca Bay. Since we are almost done, I'm thinking that won't happen - - - maybe next year! These are my blocks for this clue, all done till next Friday!
Orca Bay is one of my favorites!

I love your colours for this mystery. Your quilt is going to be stunning!
Old 12-29-2014, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
Husky ... I too would lean toward white with the boldness of those gorgeous batiks. But here's a sideways thought ... have you considered silver or a soft dove grey?
Well, well, I hadn't thought of this, but went to the LQS to check some stuff out and ended up settling on a grey!
Old 12-29-2014, 10:14 AM

Husky, I LOVE the grey! Beautiful choice!
Old 12-29-2014, 10:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SueSew View Post
I am having second thoughts about the aqua.

If this quilt is the colors of the pictures she keeps showing us of different areas of the hotel, I don't see anything really kick-butt aqua- on my computer the ceilings look like a very pale pastel green.
In the introductory post (where we got the color card numbers) Bonnie did tell us which of the colors on the card to be aiming at and which to avoid. For the aqua she said to match nearer the palest or medium chip, but avoid the darkest chip on the card. That one would look too close to the green we were supposed to be matching. And the green was supposed to be the darkest/brightest green on its card. She has some illusion in mind, and if you don't pay attention to the values of the colors, as well as the hues, yours won't have the same 'punch'.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:04 PM

Husky: I love your colors! I think that grey is such a good idea, it doesn't pull the other colors down but makes a really nice statement.
SewBiz: I didn't pay enough attention to values on my Orca Bay quilt and the secondary design didn't show. The values are very important on Bonnie' quits.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingVagabond View Post
Oh, I am catching up! Got a whole day yesterday to sew and am now ready for Clue 5!!!!
But I still have to press Clues 3 and 4. And spackle and paint the new drywall we put up in the bathroom we are building in our basement... oh dear.... lol
I'm with you on this project! Except ours is our master bedroom! I think it was a ploy by DH to get me to do something besides quilt! We've gotten the big wall behind our bed removed (the whole room is paneling), put insulation in, drywalled, mudded, taped, primed & painted. Got the ceiling painted too. Also made a headboard out of plywood. So got it stained & varnished with a matte finish. I just got done putting that section of the room back together. Tomorrow is a shorter wall, but it's an interior, so no insulation. Hopefully we can get that wall through the mud stage & primer & paint will be the following day. So looking for DH to go back to work!

I did get all of clue #5 done over the weekend to bring me all ready for #6. Since we only have 640 square inches left to do, it should go quick.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:08 PM

Since I have never done one of Bonnie's scrappy quilts, I would welcome any suggestions on how to quilt this one. Nothing like getting ahead of myself. Just want to be prepared. thanks