Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 12-30-2014, 05:22 AM

I'm glad everyone likes the grey! I think it will look really nice next to the turquoise when I get to that step. Unfortunately I ran into a bit of a problem last night when I went to do step 3. I did a strip set of each and sewed them all together and ended up with 6 finished step 3 blocks. My green is too dark and sort of blends right into the navy. So I jumped online and ordered a lighter lime green batik blender, and hopefully it won't take too long to arrive. That just means I'll have to get caught up on steps 4 & 5 while I'm waiting for it. I'm guessing I won't get it until next week with the new years holiday coming up. If I actually get ahead *gasp* that means I could start my fancy fox for my niece's birthday.

In other news, a new to me machine is on its way! Got a Bernina 930! I'm pretty excited about it, it's going to be my first nice machine. I can't wait to get it!
Old 12-30-2014, 06:23 AM

Vicki: Its weird the things I still do left handed. Two things I can think of; I brush my teeth and thread a needle left handed.
Interesting discussion re the quilting. Thank you Joy for introducing it. I have the Orca Bay and Celtic Solstice sandwiched and waiting to be quilted. A pantograh makes a lot of sense but I am kind of drawn to outlining the shapes as Jeanie mentioned.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
Vicki: Its weird the things I still do left handed. Two things I can think of; I brush my teeth and thread a needle left handed.
Interesting discussion re the quilting. Thank you Joy for introducing it. I have the Orca Bay and Celtic Solstice sandwiched and waiting to be quilted. A pantograh makes a lot of sense but I am kind of drawn to outlining the shapes as Jeanie mentioned.
I eat and write left handed and do everything else righty....I also have issues with angles and figuring out what they are going to cover once they a flipped open in paper piecing.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:11 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dianeinsterling View Post
I eat and write left handed and do everything else righty....I also have issues with angles and figuring out what they are going to cover once they a flipped open in paper piecing.
I broke my right arm as a child and my left wrist in three places as an adult with a long arm cast for six weeks, so I use both of my hands for a lot of different things.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by dianeinsterling View Post
Diane, me too - I always have to triple check in PP to be sure I have enough material to cover. I have taken to using rectangles and having a lot of scrap, but I know it would be better to keep practicing the inside-out angles pieces in PP.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae View Post
I broke my right arm as a child and my left wrist in three places as an adult with a long arm cast for six weeks, so I use both of my hands for a lot of different things.
This sounds like me I have broken both left and right wrists as an adult. Steel plates and screws in both. I can do a lot of things with either hand, the funny one was learning to use the mouse left handed!
Old 12-30-2014, 01:29 PM

I applaud all of you ambidextrous folks. I can do very little with my left hand. I'm even right/left challenged ... "turn right" usually morphs to "no, I meant left". I'm 54 years old and I still get right/left confused.

However ... I can thread a needle with my toes.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:38 PM

Finally all caught up!! Except for the 4 single blocks that I'm going to skip for now pending the reveal of what to do with them. Being only 4 I suspect they are corner stones for the border. I'm not terribly fond of border cornerstones.

Pic's of all the finished units. I'm quite happy with my fabric choices. My blues are fairly constant with only a few going outside of the predominant value/hue, my pinks are a whole range from the lightest pale to a dark pink - but no "red". My greens have a fairly wide range, but not as wide as the pinks. My neutrals are from white to beige. Having just finished a totally scrappy quilt, I'm really enjoying letting my scrappy flag fly!!
Attached Thumbnails clue-1.jpg   clue-2.jpg   clue-3.jpg   clue-4a.jpg   clue-4b.jpg  

clue-5.jpg  
Old 12-30-2014, 03:22 PM

That's spectacular, DogHouseMom! Your fabrics are wonderful, and your blues look especially pretty to me.

I have been working on my double diamond units today. It is slow going.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
I applaud all of you ambidextrous folks. I can do very little with my left hand. I'm even right/left challenged ... "turn right" usually morphs to "no, I meant left". I'm 54 years old and I still get right/left confused.

However ... I can thread a needle with my toes.
I also have no concept of left or right w/o looking. Your left index finger and thumb make an "L", I hold up my hand all the time to see which one I mean.