Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 12-07-2014, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
Some people seem to have read Bonnie's request to not put directions for the quilt -- whether her directions or their own methods -- on their own web pages and blogs, to mean that no one can suggest helps or alternate means of making the units while we work on them in these public forums . . . where we're all supposed to be sharing our experiences. I think some of her fans are over zealous to respect her wishes, while being careless when reading what she actually requested.
I think you are correct. Thanks for posting this statement.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
Some people seem to have read Bonnie's request to not put directions for the quilt -- whether her directions or their own methods -- on their own web pages and blogs, to mean that no one can suggest helps or alternate means of making the units while we work on them in these public forums . . . where we're all supposed to be sharing our experiences. I think some of her fans are over zealous to respect her wishes, while being careless when reading what she actually requested.
I think your right too.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:48 PM

Here's what worked for me when piecing the double diamonds. Finger press! Those bias edges are tricky even when starched. And apparently I'm a little handed with the iron. When sewing the center seam to connect the two chevron units, start from from the pink side. That way when you get to the center where the points should match you can see the shadow of the black where it crosses the pink and can get the seam right on.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:51 PM

Default Clue 2 in the works

I've really been enjoying watching my scrappy blocks come together for clue 2 - using the first option I'm feeling good!
Attached Thumbnails twirl-sm.jpg  
Old 12-07-2014, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by somoquilter View Post
ok, after reading on fb that Bonnie said that other version wouldn't work, I made one out of the squares & rectangles that Bonnie had on her page. Both of these units are the same size & look the same. I see no difference except with the squares/rectangles one - it is wonky as they usually are when I make them like that.
I made them using the method from Rose Prairie quilts blog.
i am going to do this method too! Hope it is successful. I do much better sewing then trimming. Any one else use strips?
Old 12-07-2014, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by pjnesler View Post
I've really been enjoying watching my scrappy blocks come together for clue 2 - using the first option I'm feeling good!
love this layout!
Old 12-07-2014, 08:43 PM

I love your fabrics. The colors and the prints are great.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:15 PM

sewbizgirl, love that pink plaid fabric! Your blocks are looking great.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:30 PM

Looks great! I love your neutrals. And I see all your points are spot on. Well done.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:43 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Windblown View Post
I have been watching and sewing along with this MQ so far I have gotten all of Clue#1 done. After 2 days of struggling with the Easy Angle... today I started with way#3, my main problem seem to be, related if I make the center seam deep enough- nearly a full 1/4" - for the angles to match then my block comes out the correct length but somewhat shy of 4.5 wide? Has anyone had to deal with this? Any one have any answers? Help please. [ATTACH=CONFIG]501701[/ATTACH]
If I were having that problem I'd try one of the other cutting/construction methods and see if I can get a better result.
Keep trying!