Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 12-07-2014, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by SueSew View Post
I would call it Dizzy! since if you put them together it kind of spins. Plus I went pingponging back to Joanns and grabbed printier-fabrics because mine were so dull compared to everyone elses...and then I spent the weekend figuring out how to PP ( I'd be done by now if I just stopped whining and cut them all out!)...and then doing the PP paper template backwards, then sewing the fabric on inside out...I must have been in a 'teen daze' (haha I don't want to have have senior moments!)

I finally redid the PP template so I could be brain-dead and get it right! Possibly even if sewing after 8PM, my twilight zone. Check this
[ATTACH=CONFIG]501534[/ATTACH]
Hey whatever works, right? Now I just have to cut the pieces and get to work.

Happy quilting All!
What is the actual size of the PP templates, please?
Old 12-07-2014, 03:08 PM

Double Diamond it is.....I can see that.... like baseball diamonds from an airplane if 30,000 feet up and 100 miles away and looking out the window from the dreaded middle seat.....yep! I see that now.....and it is time for ginger ale.

so the double diamond and the broken dishes are all packed in the super saver and waiting for Friday !
Old 12-07-2014, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by nancysp View Post
The removed version was not correct and would have resulted in someone making all of Clue 2 incorrectly. That certainly would have caused a bit of hoopla (and swearing) in my sewing room!
I wasn't referring to the one that was removed, I was referring to people who have had many negative comments for posting alternative methods for both step one or two. Specifically, somebody who posted a method that uses strips. It is still available on her blog, should people search for it.
Old 12-07-2014, 04:41 PM

ok, after reading on fb that Bonnie said that other version wouldn't work, I made one out of the squares & rectangles that Bonnie had on her page. Both of these units are the same size & look the same. I see no difference except with the squares/rectangles one - it is wonky as they usually are when I make them like that.
I made them using the method from Rose Prairie quilts blog.
Old 12-07-2014, 05:23 PM
Power Poster

I am enjoying reading all the different ways to do clue 2 and really appreciate your methods. I did mine doing the rectangles and cutting the squares method. Yes it was a pain to draw lines through 400 squares but it got the job done for me accurately. Happy to say clue 2 is done and now I can get to Christmas decorations and card writing this week all before clue 3 is up By the way I love seeing pictures of your progress!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]501699[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails grand-illusions-clue-2.jpg  
Old 12-07-2014, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
I wasn't referring to the one that was removed, I was referring to people who have had many negative comments for posting alternative methods for both step one or two. Specifically, somebody who posted a method that uses strips. It is still available on her blog, should people search for it.
Some people seem to have read Bonnie's request to not put directions for the quilt -- whether her directions or their own methods -- on their own web pages and blogs, to mean that no one can suggest helps or alternate means of making the units while we work on them in these public forums . . . where we're all supposed to be sharing our experiences. I think some of her fans are over zealous to respect her wishes, while being careless when reading what she actually requested.
Old 12-07-2014, 05:35 PM

I have been watching and sewing along with this MQ so far I have gotten all of Clue#1 done. After 2 days of struggling with the Easy Angle... today I started with way#3, my main problem seem to be, related if I make the center seam deep enough- nearly a full 1/4" - for the angles to match then my block comes out the correct length but somewhat shy of 4.5 wide? Has anyone had to deal with this? Any one have any answers? Help please. [ATTACH=CONFIG]501701[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20141207_165832.jpg  
Old 12-07-2014, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Windblown View Post
I have been watching and sewing along with this MQ so far I have gotten all of Clue#1 done. After 2 days of struggling with the Easy Angle... today I started with way#3, my main problem seem to be, related if I make the center seam deep enough- nearly a full 1/4" - for the angles to match then my block comes out the correct length but somewhat shy of 4.5 wide? Has anyone had to deal with this? Any one have any answers? Help please. [ATTACH=CONFIG]501701[/ATTACH]
Oh dear, now I'm worried. I've got about half the rectangles done, but haven't tried sewing two together yet. I hope I don't run into this problem. I'll try a few in the morning and let you know how it goes. Can you just sew a really scant seam when you eventually match them up with the other blocks?

I'm sure it will pass, but right now I'm kind of wondering why I'm doing this to myself. I always feel pressured to get everything finished before the next clue even though it's truly not necessary.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:17 PM

Oh, and I love the purple! So pretty!
Old 12-07-2014, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Nilla View Post
Oh dear, now I'm worried. I've got about half the rectangles done, but haven't tried sewing two together yet. I hope I don't run into this problem. I'll try a few in the morning and let you know how it goes. Can you just sew a really scant seam when you eventually match them up with the other blocks?

I'm sure it will pass, but right now I'm kind of wondering why I'm doing this to myself. I always feel pressured to get everything finished before the next clue even though it's truly not necessary.
The problem with going with a scant 1/4 seam when joining the 2 blocks together is that you would have to remember to do a same scant seam when you join this 4.5 inch by 4.5 inch block to whatever it will be connected to because otherwise you points will be cut off at the tops and bottoms (the way it is shown in the photo).