Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 11-11-2014, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by HouseDragon View Post
I love your choice of fabric colours.

Now a question: which table do you have for your machine? And how do you like it?
It's a Sew Steady and I love it. I'd like it better if it was on a table with a cutout so it's all one level but this works for now. The advantage to this setup is that I can keep my scissors, pins, seam ripper, etc. under the Sew Steady and out of the way.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:12 PM

Everyone, your colors are fabulous!!
Old 11-11-2014, 03:53 PM

BerninaGirl, I think you can jump right in with the mystery - all of Bonnie's quilts are scrappy, but none seem to be especially difficult. This will be my first BH quilt too!
Old 11-11-2014, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by BerninaGirl View Post
I have just stumbled on to Bonnie Hunter. Should you do one of her other quilts before trying the mystery quilt?

I have never done a mystery quilt before so am a little nervous.

Thanks for any insights.
I hope that you join the fun, BerninaGirl. Bonnie' s instructions are very clear and she includes lots of photos. There is nothing really hard about her quilts - maybe more pieces than what you've done before. Trust us...you will expand your piecing skills, color choices, or simply increase the number of pieces as I've mentioned, but you will definitely do something new or step out of the box! :-) And, you will end up with an absolutely beautiful quilt that you will be very proud of!

Bonnie has a few of her older mysteries on her homepage. Take a look at those to get a feel for how they work.

I can hardly wait!
Old 11-11-2014, 04:33 PM

Berina Girl: You definitely don't have to do one before you do a mystery. She really does do a great job with her instructions and if something isn't clear just ask. There is always someone that has an answer. Don't be afraid, trust me, you'll have a great time. The best part is at the end you'll have a quilt you will be proud of.
Joe'sMom: I wonder what a brighter yellow would do to your layout. Love how you audition your colors.
Old 11-11-2014, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
I'm still learning, too. And for the record, my machine is an 870 not a 935. How I ever made a mistake like that I'll never know.
LOL...here's one better... I was wrong too...mine is an 875.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Sauki1 View Post
LOL...here's one better... I was wrong too...mine is an 875.
Well now I don't feel quite so foolish.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:34 PM

I'm going to attempt this.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:37 PM

Joe's mom - thanks for sharing your fabric auditioning method. That is a useful tip I will add to my skillbox. LOL I need to work on getting my neutrals, otherwise, I feel ready, sort of...
Old 11-11-2014, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
joe'smom, I love the shades you are using! Is the yellow the one we had messaged about? I think it has more white in it than mine (there were several prints in the line), but the same color. If you can find something a bit more vibrant, try that.

Also, remember than there will be more black and white than color, as well as that aqua (your blue) and pink than yellow or green.

Your way of auditioning fabrics is brilliant! I am going to try to remember that. In the circle, the bottom half does have more of the white, but also more of the yellow. Try increasing the pinks and blues while decreasing the yellow.
Estimated yardages: Neutrals 3 yds; Black, 2 1/4 yds; Pink, 2 yds; Aqua (blue), 2 1/3 yds; Yellow, 1 5/8 yds (without binding); and Green, 1 1/2 yds. Try rearranging the scrap pieces closer to that ratio and see what you think.

I don't generally care for a black background. Or maybe I do. Calico Gals in Syracuse is doing a block of the month (pattern is free if you subscribe to their e-mail); the background is black and the fabrics are solids - which I also do not like... But it is stunning http://www.snapretail.com/retailer/T...onsumer/616393 Maybe I DO like black and solids, lol. Alternatively, I do think a deep purple or dark navy would work.
I think adjusting the color proportions made a big difference. It doesn't seem as weighed down by the black. I used three white to two black, blue and pink, to one green and yellow. I think the yellow looks warmer and richer in the midst of more white, than in the photo I posted earlier. I also took out the neutral whites with black, and used quieter ones; they don't add any interest, at least from photo distance. I think what I might do is look for one fabric to use as a neutral throughout, one that will add some interest without adding black. If nothing turns up, I think I will be fine using the neutrals I have assembled.

The pictures here are: 1)The circle I posted earlier, 2) The circle with the proportions adjusted, the black and whites removed and with two of the dotted yellow on the right and one slightly deeper yellow on the left, 3) The same photo, but with all the yellows being the slightly deeper one, 4) The same but with a much brighter yellow. I feel content with the yellow dot at this point.

peaceandjoy, I also admire black with brights, yet never feel inclined to do one. Maybe someday!

Thank you, everyone, for your comments and input!
Attached Thumbnails imgp8268.jpg   imgp8283.jpg   imgp8284.jpg   imgp8285.jpg