Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 12-05-2014, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by nancysp View Post
To me, the "template" is the lower diamond piece. Mine measures perfectly after sewn with the template, try one on a 2 1/2 " strip -- it works.
I measured the finish size of the template PIECES and BINGO! they are spot-on. It is the picture of the finished rectangle with is more on the 'artistic' side than accurate.

Not being a great one for cutting fabric into 200 little pieces which are all exactly the same size, I will probably at least attempt to PP.

It looks like this thing is no different than 2 HST...there must be a reason she didn't make us do more HST...merciful? devious? keeping secrets! Hmmm can't wait to find out where we go from here!
Old 12-05-2014, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
A little late but wouldn't this make a great color combination for the GI quilt? Almost wish I'd seen that before it started. I'm doing Bonnie's colors.
Gorgeous colors. I'm going to save this color combo for the bucket list! thanks for posting
Old 12-05-2014, 02:38 PM

Beautiful colors! It would make a great quilt.
Don't forget to use a scant 1/4 seam like I did!
Old 12-05-2014, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
A little late but wouldn't this make a great color combination for the GI quilt? Almost wish I'd seen that before it started. I'm doing Bonnie's colors.
Oh! Yummy Yummy Yummy!!!!! Mahalo!

I don't have time to do the mystery this year but having fallen in love with the colours in your post, I'll definitely use these beautiful colours instead of Bonnie's later in 2015.

To All: I'm enjoying reading your posts and seeing your colour choices.

Next up: Looking at Monday's links on Bonnie's site.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by whitepine View Post
I was thinking the same thing. I even got my Seminole patchwork book out to see about using that method. But I haven't thought any further so, I don't know. But do let us know if you discover something.
Ah, I do so love the internet. Here's a way to do Part 2 using the strip method. This is what I'm going to do. There is still some wastage, but at least I don't have to cut out 400 squares and mark them.
http://roseprairiequilts.blogspot.co...-illusion.html

Last edited by Belfrybat; 12-05-2014 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:40 PM

LOL. Thanks BelfryBat. That's how I did it just now. I cut all my strips at 2" and there is a little more waste at the beginning of each strip. But I don't care. And if you're doing scrappy, you could just do a strip of each color. But, do you see anything wrong with this picture??? Fortunately I only did a short strip as an experiment because they're all cut the wrong direction. Need to pay attention to what way to have the 45 angle.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]501283[/ATTACH]

I didn't understand what she meant by doing a bad thing by posting it on Facebook. It's just another technique.
Attached Thumbnails clue-2-%25.jpg  

Last edited by whitepine; 12-05-2014 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:07 PM

WhitePine: I think she meant that Bonnie had asked that no one give any directions on the internet but to refer them back to her blog.

That technique is how I did the chevron units for last year's Celtic Solstice. It is very fast if you just get the angles correct and cut it accurately. I always forget to think about the bias edges, though. This year I've been using Best Press on everything before I cut it but I ran out and started using Magic Sizing this morning. Hope it helps me be accurate.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
Ah, I do so love the internet. Here's a way to do Part 2 using the strip method. This is what I'm going to do. There is still some wastage, but at least I don't have to cut out 400 squares and mark them.
http://roseprairiequilts.blogspot.co...-illusion.html
Thank you so much for posting that site. I will definitely give it a try in the morning. It looks like the easiest and fastest way.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:44 PM
Power Poster

I put the unit piece the finished size in EQ7 and printed out a paper piecing pattern. Two seams and a whole unit is sewn. No cutting required.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:47 PM

Drat and blast ... I had decided I was going to do method #2 using the Easy Angle ruler but upon reading the instructions again now that I am home I see that you need the 6.5" ruler (minimum). I only have the 4.5" size.

So I either need to wait until tomorrow then find the 6.5" ruler (last week this size was all the shop had in stock), OR do method #3.

I'm not good at waiting ... and I kind of like the idea of having the "bonus triangles". I'm also used to piecing my flying geese like this, but will need to remember to each square in the same direction (as opposed to meeting the middle).