Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 11-12-2014, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by SueSew View Post
Joe'smom, I am now confused about your deliberations on colors.
I think the colors you chose are all great, but what is this about proportions? Won't BH tell us what color to put where in each piece?
Does this have to do with how much dark vs light shade of each color? Or how much white is in the print?

I'm still piling up fabrics (going for lollipop shades and 'grape' instead of black.) but now I'm sure I'm missing something!
SueSew, don't worry, you're not missing anything. When I put up my wheel of strips, I used one of each color, and then started again, one of each color going around the wheel. Then I was whining (!) that I didn't like the black, and didn't like my yellow. peaceandjoy pointed out that going by Bonnie's intro information, there was more white (neutral) than anything else in the quilt (calls for 3 yds), then next in prominence were the black, pink, and blue, followed by smaller amounts of the yellow and green. So I re-did my strip wheel using most white, next most black, pink and blue, and less yellow and green. It was just an effort to see how the colors all looked together, rather than separated into color groups.

Rhondals, I'm so glad you'll be joining in. Which Joel Dewberry line were you thinking of? That's an interesting idea!
Old 11-12-2014, 10:16 AM

Are Bonnie's quilts straight forward, or difficult? They look gorgeous on the website.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:29 AM

The True colors Hawthorne collection.

I seem to be a fabric snob. Also a yarn snob. Kind of a textile snob all around. it's the Embroidery Guild that made me this way....argh a scrap? Who made that scrap?

So, like I do my aida cloth, I kind of organized it as Hoffman, Kaufman, Dewberry, Liberty of London, Fabric Traditions, etc. But I don't have much of a stash. That is how it's organized.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:32 AM

I have never done one of her mystery quilts or even read the directions for one - does she have directions for a pieced back also??? Or, are we on our own for the backs????
Old 11-12-2014, 11:21 AM
Power Poster

Yikes... so many questions! You do realize that any answers given to these questions are pure speculation? Nobody knows what's coming, except that it will probably be beautiful like all Bonnie Hunter quilts. Wait and see!

I, for one, am thrilled that it starts on Black Friday. I'm boycotting all shopping on that day (hate mobs) so it will give me something fun to do instead! Yay.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:28 AM

Bonnie's instructions are very straight forward and easy to follow. She tends to work in 3-1/2" squares (or at least did on the last 3 mysteries), but can have up to 6 pieces of fabric per square.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]498594[/ATTACH]

I've not seen her give instructions for a pieced back. But she does include the border in her instructions.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-30-2014 at 07:15 AM. Reason: should have used a link
Old 11-12-2014, 11:45 AM

That is very nice.

My son wants me to get in line at Bass Pro Shop on Thanksgiving so we can get hand guns...really? He is 23, and already has one, but wants another. And I want one...but standing in line on Thanksgiving for it? Can we get them before that? I love Black Friday, it's so much fun...then I'll come home and work for a while so my next check isn't too short. I work from home, unless I job travel or audit medical charts at local clinics.

On Saturday I'll begin the quilt. Sundays are football days, but I do needlework then until the game starts. I can't do needlework or sewing during the football game.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:51 AM

Thanks Joes Mom! Now my fabric problems are solved!

Rhondal, those Joel Dewberries are amazing - Should be a lot of fun to see it come together!

I am not phased by 3 1/2" squares but would prefer NOT to do it in bits and pieces. Once I get my head around a block construction visually and I can make the blocks accurately, I prefer to do it all at once, or my consistency drops dramatically. I have a terrible time doing something the same way twice!!! LOL This is going to be a lot of fun!!!
Old 11-12-2014, 12:05 PM

I will be out of town with my sons football team over the TGiving weekend. Part of me wants to bring my MQ fabric and cutting tools... I doubt I'll have time to atually use them though. Yes- I'm that crazy!
Old 11-12-2014, 12:11 PM

There's a quilt shop shop hop this weekend, so I might be able to do some of Dewberry, and the rest see what's available.