Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What am I doing wrong? >

What am I doing wrong?

What am I doing wrong?

Old 05-10-2011, 04:00 AM

Make sure the foot is up when you thread the machine, so that you are sure that the thread is sitting between the tension discs which are open when you raise the foot lever. Also check that the thread is not catching on any little, rough spikes around the spool of the thread. If the bobbin is inserted correctly and the race is clear of fluff, with foot lever down - you should not have trouble. Make sure that you pull the bobbin thread up to the top of the fabric before you start quilting. Good luck.
Gutterman is OK to quilt with - I have never had a problem with it. Aurifil and Mettler are OK too.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:03 AM

I agree with all of the above - plus some bobbins are different sizes. My machine manual advises the size of bobbin to use, and I always stick to that now.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:08 AM

Now I can't remember what the result was but the solution was in the winding of the bobbin. Let it make a few turns and then trim off that little tail of thread . Finish filling the bobbin. That tail was getting caught as it got to the end of the bobbin and that gave me trouble.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:08 AM

Tara
I know the Freesia fairly well and I would suggest that you check the top tension dial and run a piece of paper money through there. I think you might have something caught in the tension disc or lint is building up in there. Also if you are sewing along and get really fast at your speed and then slam on the brakes by taking your foot off of the foot pedal the thread continues to unwind and may be coming out of the take up lever. Just some suggestions. If this doesn't work try another spool of thread it may be that one particular spool is causing the problem. I have seen some really strange things.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:13 AM

My checklist would be this.
First raise the pressor foot and rethread the machine, top and bottom.
Make sure the bobbin is in the right way and that it's clean with no pieces of thread stuck down there.
Check to be sure there are no "nicks" in your bobbin cover plate and in the bobbin holder. Even a tiny burr can cause problems.
Try a different bobbin - you might have a slightly "off" one.
Make sure you are putting the pressor foot in the down position when using the darning foot.
If you are getting nests in straight line quilting still, then adjust your upper tension up.
If you are only getting nests when you go around curves, then speed up your machine.
Beyond that, I'd take it in to the service guy.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:22 AM

I had terrible problems trying to quilt a lap quilt with metallic thread and a flannel back. Once I bought new thread and changed the back to cotton, it quilted like a dream.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:01 AM

Usually if the upper thread is looping on the bottom, it has to do with lack of tension on the upper thread. The next time this happens check to see if the upper thread has changed:the arm that goes up and down directly above the needle, that you have to thread the thread through, did it fall out of there?
when you rethreaded the upper thread last time, was the presser foot up? It has to be up when threading, presser foot up = tension discs open /presser foot down = tension discs closed, when you rethread it next time kind if give it a tiny tug back and forth like flossing it into the discs
Because it doesn't happen right away, it sounds more likely that it fell out op the thread "uptake arm" (just rememmbered what it was called).
Old 05-10-2011, 05:06 AM

I've read about bobbin washers but haven't purchased one yet. The description says prevents those nests.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:11 AM

Tara! I have a Pfaff 2040 Tectronic and when I first started winding my bobbins, I noticed that the thread was not flat and neatly wound and I was having problems with it. So I solved the winding problem by putting a finger on not of the bobbin as it fills. This has minimized the "wobbling" of the bobbin causing the afore mentioned problem. Since I started this, I have not had bobbin problems. BTY, I love Guetterman thread. Also, you must remember to put the presser foot down. I know it is hard to remember, but if you don't, there will be bunched up thread on the back until you lower your presser foot. Been there and done that. Good luck. Let us know how you solve your problem. Yolanda Wood River
Old 05-10-2011, 05:47 AM

ah ha! i think this is my problem.
Originally Posted by Lori S
Just a note : remember when your bobbin is getting lower , the more/faster rotations it has to make , thus often building more static than when the bobbin is full.