Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What am I doing wrong? >

What am I doing wrong?

What am I doing wrong?

Old 05-09-2011, 11:15 AM

I had this problem with my machine and it turned out I was using the wrong size bobbin. :oops:
Old 05-09-2011, 11:51 AM

All right, got a "good" nest
Attached Thumbnails attachment-195034.jpe  
Old 05-09-2011, 12:01 PM

I have this happen occasionally even when sewing Is your top thread catching on the spool? It may not have anything to do with the quilting but just something going wrong in your sewing. Does your machine have a trouble shooting guide. I would check that out with all the suggestions.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mo_Chride
I was also told that longarmers won't take trimmed quilts and the UFOs I have are trimmed down to the correct finished size.

Tara, do you mean that you have already trimmed the batting and or backing for your quilts? If they aren't already quilted, it may be worth it to get a new backing. But you may be able to find someone to do them trimmed. I would start a thread asking that question. I know it can be done, because my LAQ'r put one of mine back on her frame after it had been trimmed to add to the quilting. Good luck! I know how frustrating it can be, that's why I gave it up! LOL
Old 05-09-2011, 12:26 PM

I had that happen repeatedly and did the re-thread of top & bottom but it didn't work. Finally, I used a different bobbin and that problem disappeared.

Try a different bobbin. If that doesn't work, try a different brand of thread. You'll have to eliminate each step of the way for your machine.

Hope these suggestions help!
Old 05-09-2011, 12:45 PM
Power Poster

Here's a link to the washers we are talking about:
http://www.clotilde.com/detail.html?prod_id=6966

They are thin pieces of Teflon that are shaped just like washers (the little discs that go between wood and a screw's head to protect the wood from the screw). You place a washer inside your bobbin case before inserting the bobbin. They cut down on static and prevent the bobbin from "whipping" the thread around, something that can cause a bird's nest.

Here's an additional link with more information:
http://www.daystyledesigns.com/magicgeniewashers.htm
Old 05-09-2011, 12:49 PM

haha.. i was thinking this was a special device to wash your bobbin in (like with soap & water) i am such a dork ;-)

I NEED one of these as I get those darn nests too.
Originally Posted by Prism99
Here's a link to the washers we are talking about:
http://www.clotilde.com/detail.html?prod_id=6966

They are thin pieces of Teflon that are shaped just like washers (the little discs that go between wood and a screw's head to protect the wood from the screw). You place a washer inside your bobbin case before inserting the bobbin. They cut down on static and prevent the bobbin from "whipping" the thread around, something that can cause a bird's nest.

Here's an additional link with more information:
http://www.daystyledesigns.com/magicgeniewashers.htm
Old 05-09-2011, 12:51 PM

I see that it is all the top thread that is doing the mess. When you sew on a sample piece of fabric does that happen too? Could it be the minke that is the problem? Having never used this fabric, I don't know if you need to use a special needle with it, or if you need to make some other adjustment. Try sewing on a cotton scrap to see if it works OK then sew on a minke scrap.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:04 PM

If it's just in the beginning, use a starter piece of fabric, just a scrap and sew onto that then onto your regular fabric. Some people always do this when they just get nests from time to time.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:22 PM

Is it just when you start, or in the middle of your seam? I don't think the minkee is the problem, I use it quite a bit and don't have nests. But they do form at a place that you are starting if you don' t hold those threads