Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Sheets are drying in the sun.... >

Sheets are drying in the sun....

Sheets are drying in the sun....

Old 05-21-2011, 06:16 AM

I always hang out during the summer months, except if the neighbor has recently spread fresh cow manur! HeHe I remember the smell of fresh sheets on the bed when we were sick as children and wonderful it made you feel. I can remember my dad's beagles trying to pull stuff off after my mom hung them up. My dad still hangs things out too, he is 90.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:44 AM

I still hang my sheets out and love the smell, but I remember when I was a kid I had to "hide" the underwear on the middle lines, so the neighbors didn't see them.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:41 AM

The clothes dryer is a big energy user, and the exercise of hanging clothes would be good for me - as long as I have my dryer to fall back on when it rains or I don't have the time (or would rather quilt). I do love the fresh smell. We would no more be allowed to put up clotheslines here than paint our house orange with green stripes. It's a shame, I think, though I agree with the paint rules.

If there is social pressure to dry outdoors in Australia, I wonder about the division of labor for this task in households where both spouses have jobs. My DH never did laundry before retirement unless I was flat-on-my-back sick, and we did not have clotheslines back then, either.

My mom, who had a full time job, didn't get a dryer until about 1957. Dad helped with the laundry some, until I got old enough to be useful.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:34 AM
Power Poster

I just spent 2 weeks at my sister's in Germany and the highlight of the day was hangig out the laundry. (I am a spoilt Cali-girl now) Of course we had fun running out back when the rains came too. Gotta agree - the clothes do smell nice but they are so rough. It does save on electricity though. Good for you sticking to your guns.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:55 PM

I use to hang all the diapers out in sun. After I had my twins the little neighborhood kids were watching me hanging up the diapers and I overheard them say, she doesn't look any different. Guess maybe they thought that since I had twins I should look different.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:48 PM

I still use a clothesline for my good weather drying, but I put my towels in the dryer first for about 10 minutes, then take them out and hang them out. This way they are nice and soft AND line-dried fresh!
Originally Posted by BeeNana
I got one of these umbrella clothes lines. DH put a pvc pipe in the ground. I store it away in the colder weather. You are right......nothing like the smell of outdoor sheets. I even like the towels......sometimes so stiff you get a spa treatment.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:06 PM

keep that clothesline, its what i miss most, to the point that I take my sheet to my mom's and use hers! i think i sleep better on sheets that have been dried outside! aahhh, sweetness!
Old 05-21-2011, 03:17 PM

Bravo for solar energy -- tell DH that this is the latest model solar clothes dryer!
I am lucky enough to be able to hang a load of sheets and pillowcases AND a load of fabric at the same time. Just have to avoid the section where the hummingbirds are sipping from the blooming guava tree!
Old 05-21-2011, 03:49 PM
BMP

I hang out my sheets and clothes as much as the weather permits. I also have a few lines in the basement for things I do not put in the dryer. I love the smell of them too!!
Old 05-21-2011, 04:41 PM
Power Poster

Love the smell of fresh sheets. We've had too much for me to hang mine out, hopefully next week.