Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question...storage of fabric. >

Question...storage of fabric.

Question...storage of fabric.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:22 AM

I have a silly question - how do you keep the dust off you shelved fabric? I have most of my fabric in clear boxes - when I dust my fabric boxes the top are usually really dusty.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:28 AM

I think quilters are generally very visual people, therefore like shelves where they can see everything. I know that is the way I am.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:31 AM

no drawers you have to take everything out if your fabric is on the bottom.
I have shelves and also use plastic ontainers to store my Ufo's and such.

this what i did
peek
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-125475-1.htm
Old 06-17-2011, 04:35 AM

I use the comic book boards too, and cut them in half for the fat quarters. That way I know how much I have of each fabric (1/2 yd or more on full board, less than 1/2 yd on small board.) I love being able to see all the colors lined up, and it is fun "shopping" my shelves for just the right pieces. Now I just need to convince myself that there is a limit.... Ha...
Old 06-17-2011, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by Dotha
Do you think that it is better/easier/best use of space to store fabric in drawers or in a cabinet with shelves? I want shelves but DH thinks the best use of space is putting everything in a drawer. I want shelves for the big pieces as I fold every peice to the same size and it stores so neatly and is so easy to see. Drawers, not so much, it is harder to riffle through them, I think. Any thoughts. Dh is doing everything he can to help me with the sewing room reorganization and I appreciate it so much but now I am to a point where I think I know best. Just thought I would ask for input to figure out if I am right or if I should listen to him. I have one of those white cabinet things with the doors (sell for about80 to 100 dollars) and I love it. I want at least one more. Help with your advice, please.
I bot five plastic cupboards with four shelves at WM. Were much cheaper than wood. They have doors so fabric is not exposed to lite and keeps the dust out. I have been very satisfied.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:42 AM

I forgot. Also the cats.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:44 AM

I like shelves, even for regular clothing. Unless you have a way to stack the fabric on end in drawers you have to take each stack out to see what is in it. Hope tha tmakes sense LOL. Take care.
Linda
Old 06-17-2011, 04:49 AM

Right now my fabric is a mess. But I am choosing to use drawers. But the fabric will be folded to stand up, not laying on top of each other. I choose this because I have a bad back and can reach down in the lower drawers with a "gripper". Then I can fold my fabric back up that matches all the other fabrics and my husband then puts it back away for me :) when he gets home.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:52 AM

Stuff in drawers can't be seen. I NEED to see my stash.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:11 AM

Personally, I prefer drawers. I have my fabric "ruler" folded, then I stand them on edge in the drawers, this way I can see the fabrics without having to mess up the drawer looking for a particular fabric. This way also prevents so much dust and sunlight exposure, although in my sewing room that isn't a problem, since I have only 1 fairly decent sized window, but it's a north facing window. I'll send a pic when my dh gets up, I can't figure out how to attach a photo right now. LOL