Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Confessions >

Quilting Confessions

Quilting Confessions

Old 12-18-2011, 03:06 AM

I usually prefer working alone. However, due to a situation beyond our control, we found out Monday that ours would be a homemade Christmas for our 6 adult children. Hubs jumped in yesterday and helped me start working on gifties for our kids. We had a blast together! At one point, we had 2 longarms and an embroidery machine all going at once. Looking forward to doing it again today!
Old 12-18-2011, 03:23 AM
Power Poster

I am the same way. The group motivates me to finish an otherwise UFO. And I love the ideas we give each other. Iam also happy to be in my warm cozy sewing room alone during the long cold winte nights.
Originally Posted by ksdot417 View Post
I tend to get really motivated right after I've been to a 'sewing' day with my closest friends. We talk, we laugh and of course we eat and it really gets me pumped up. I go home and it's like I'm on a mission for a few days. Wish I could bottle some of it to use when I am particularly unmotivated.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:18 AM

I prefer to quilt by myself. Sorta of left-over from when I worked, as I usually worked by myself.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:57 AM

I have never had the chance to quilt with a friend or group.
Taking classes is way to expensive so always quilt alone.
The group I belong to dosnt quilt when we meet, just visit, talk quilting, and show and tell.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:16 AM

I meet the first Sat. of each month with a group of my friends, at the library. We sew all day from 9 to 4 and everyone brings food. We are all making the same quilt pattern but each of us is using our own fabric choices. Its amazing how different fabrics can change the look of a pattern. Anyway sometimes we take road trips and travel the area going to different Quilt Shops. I really enjoy our time together. Sometimes I dont get alot done but thats ok, I enjoy the fellowship of being with other quilters.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:25 PM

My wife and I work together and enjoy our time in the sewing room. We listen to music, talk, sing, or whatever comes to mind. Occasionally we actually finish something.

Darren
Old 12-19-2011, 04:12 AM

It is a joy for me to drive 90km to a group which is stimulating, friendly and productive as my local group is cliquey, negative and snobbishly selective. It is necessary and welcome part of keeping myself socially healthy and stops me from producing the "same old stuff" all of the time. The contact has forced me to greatly improve in my work and to enjoy every bit of it.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by jitkaau View Post
It is a joy for me to drive 90km to a group which is stimulating, friendly and productive as my local group is cliquey, negative and snobbishly selective. It is necessary and welcome part of keeping myself socially healthy and stops me from producing the "same old stuff" all of the time. The contact has forced me to greatly improve in my work and to enjoy every bit of it.
I think I may be doing much the same at some point, Jitkaau. In spite of living in a big city, I've never found a congenial group. One of them turns their noses up at people without a lot of experience, another that I tried only talked about children and grandkids (fine as one topic of conversation, but not as the only one!) and when I said that no, I didn't have a husband, no I didn't have any children, they acted like an alien had landed (which I suppose, from their point of view, was the case!), and a 3rd had an agenda of trying to get new members to go to their church. All I want is a group where I can trade ideas, learn, have companionship and fun - I think I may have to start one! Or I'm thinking of looking further afield, as you have, though with the price of petrol in the UK, that could get expensive. But I've heard about some nice groups within 20 miles or so, which wouldn't be too bad. Luckily, I also enjoy sewing alone, and get lots of stimulus and fun on this board.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:40 AM

Time around a quilting frame (a big one) with friends, stitching to finish someone else's quilt is pure joy, fellowship and work (if quilting can be called work) are a great combination.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:44 AM

I'm very much a solo person. My quilting is the same. I do belong to a Guild but I get more from the smaller group I attend. It's much more social. I look forward to going down to my studio and working as long as I like, every opportunity I have to do so. Sometimes I look up and 3 or 4 hours have passed.
MaryKatherine