Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Confessions >

Quilting Confessions

Quilting Confessions

Old 12-17-2011, 11:52 AM

I prefer to piece and quilt alone, but I'll bind with anybody, any time.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:05 PM

I'm also a lone self-taught quilter. I also listen to books on my phone as I work.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:15 PM

Yup. That's me. Love looking at fabric and planning what I want to do but getting started becomes the issue. Thought when I retired it would get better, but watch the grandchildren during the week and am too tired to tackle sewing or cutting in the evening. Hopefully when they get older and not need to so much attention I can get back to quilting.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:27 PM

When I first started to quilt, I often worked with a friend. That stopped, and for quite a while I found it hard to motivate myself to work alone. I looked for a group, but couldn't find a congenial one locally. I get more done on my own, but miss the company, encourgement and laughter of having a quilting buddy. Now I'm used to working solo, but this board and an email group I belong to make all the difference - it's wonderful to have people here to chat with and share ideas and advice with.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:27 PM
SEW

My mom and I have been going to a quilting class every week. I look forward to it, but admit to it being distracting. Quilters in general are so creative and always have interesting things to show and describe etc. It gets me excited about trying new things. The rest of the time, I really do prefer to quilt/sew on my own...in my own little world!
Old 12-17-2011, 03:40 PM

I am a lone quilter. I really value my solitude and that's when I get it. While I am out in my quilting room -- just me and the dogs. I am so lucky to have a large outbuilding and it's all mine to work in and be as messy as I need to be. I try to get out there every morning from 9-ish to noon. For the rest of the day, I try to be sociable and take care of what ever needs to be done for the household.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:09 PM

I also live to far away to join anykind of personal quilting group. I'm self taught and do most of my sewing alone.
I do have a sewing buddy that lives about 5 miles away and she gets over here once in a while and we'll sew for several days then she is working again and it might be 2 months before we get back together. When she is here 1/2 my days are taken up with helping her figure something out. But thats ok as I enjoy her company when she is here.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:11 PM

I enjoy the quilting cohorts, but I am mostly a solo quilter.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:24 PM
Power Poster

I love to socialize with other quilters, and I do that a lot, but I prefer to work alone. It's so difficult to take everything somewhere, set it up, contend with not having whatever I forgot, suffer through a cutting surface that is too low, an iron that must be shared, and a chair that's not comfortable, and then have to dismantle everything, cart it home, and put it away. It's much easier to work at home where I can (usually) find what I need right where I want it to be.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:34 PM

actually, I`m the opposite...prefer working by myself