Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Confessions >

Quilting Confessions

Quilting Confessions

Old 12-17-2011, 04:52 PM

I get a lot done quilting and stitching and talking, just don't have anyone most of the time to do it with, so I am also a solo quilter, sewer, beader.

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
I am not a social quilter .. too much talk .. not enough stitching. If a gathering to discuss

patterns , fabric, methods etc I'm in .. but for the actual stitching ... much rather do it by myself !
Old 12-17-2011, 04:58 PM

I work alone too, no one close to quilt with, & don't care about belonging to a guild. There's one LQS here, but classes are all too easy, no challenge, geared toward beginners, I think. So, I just enjoy my studio time, & quilt. Works for me, most of the time, as I am not a groupie anyway. Glad to have these online groups & forums too, really helps ones like myself!...
Old 12-17-2011, 05:10 PM

Most of my quilting is done while I am alone. However I did meet a lady from the board who invited me to come sew with her and a few others at a LQS in a town about 40min drive away. It was absolutely the best decision I have made in years. We talk, we laugh, we quilt. I have made 7 new friends and have learned and taught new quilting techniques. These women are a blessing to me and worth the gas money.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:16 PM

Motivation is not a problem. I confess that I "bite off more than I can chew"....anyone else???
Old 12-17-2011, 05:34 PM

To really be productive, I must quilt alone. When I quilt in a group, whether it is large or small, I get distracted by the socializing, am less accurate in my stitching (and make mistakes more often!) but it is worth it for the fun and comraderie. When I am working against a deadline or needing to concentrate, I am alone in my sewing room with my music playing. I love that just as much as social quilting - and I get more done!
Old 12-17-2011, 08:04 PM

I don't seem to need others to enjoy quilting, but I do like bouncing ideas off of fellow quilters. I can do that here.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:09 PM

I'm the opposite, I like to sew anything by myself.
But I love the social aspect of talking about quilting.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:57 PM

we all sew by ourselves, but once a week, my two close quilting neighbors and i get together at 10, sew for a couple of hours, go to lunch and then return to sew some more till 3 or 4... EVERY THURSDAY..... this is such a treat... i love being retired and free to do this....
Old 12-17-2011, 10:00 PM

I love being with all my friends but I too never seem to be able to get anything completed. Like on retreats I'm always the one everyone comes to with problems with their machines or not understanding something. Wish I got paid for all that time somehow. I'm more productive by myself. I like to put on music and sew.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:05 AM

I love the thought of quilting with others and I used to belong to a quilting group which I loved. Now, I pretty much quilt by myself. I have a very dear friend, who used to work for me in my quilt shop, that I still quilt with occassionally. Quilt days with her usually revolve around me catering to her and her husband and basically doing step by step instruction on whatever she is working on. No, I'm not complaining, on those days I accept the fact that I'm not going to get much done, but, that is the reason I mostly quilt by myself now.