Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help - I think I've lost my MoJO! >

Help - I think I've lost my MoJO!

Help - I think I've lost my MoJO!

Old 04-06-2013, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Cagey View Post
I just finished knitting and crocheting 2 baby blankets for friends of mine and now I feel like I've lost my interest and MoJo for my quilting. Fabric doesn't inspire me, new patterns don't inspire me. I'm getting worried! Any suggestions?
Completely understandable! I get that way too.
When the MoJo goes away, I flip through my magazines and decide which ones to give away. I knit, crochet, just about anything else not quilty. Then, I start to feel guilty not being quilty and work on blankets for Project Linus. I have tons of scraps and just sew, press, cut. Just let it go and it will come back.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:31 AM

Mojo hibernates everywhere, but I do have an experience that might sound familiar. I live in central Florida on the Gulf- Tampa Bay area- y'all come! Anyway we used to live in Louisville, Ky. From January to April it was a slug fest just to keep going. I wasn't a quilter then, maybe it would have helped, but the grayness of the days in the Ohio valley were the culprit. The first year here it was February when I realized how different I felt. It was the sun. Even being in school for much of the day there was still plenty of Sun. Now those of us in Florida will tell you Feb. to March is the toughest stretch of the school year, but it is easier without long periods of gray days. So maybe one of those light lamps that provide what the sun does and some beach or Caribbean music would help our northern quilting friends. I do hit slumps there are many reasons it happens, but they pass and I know it's not the Gray days.

Last edited by Cybrarian; 04-06-2013 at 06:33 AM.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:41 AM

The reasons given; light deprivation and changing seasons are probably effecting all of us in the northern hemisphere. However I am usually in the same boat with Kamaia, my slump comes in summer. I just don't want to be inside when the sun is shining.

Kamaia: Hope your hip gets to feeling better. Getting older isn't for babies.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:55 AM

I sometimes have to take a "time out" from quilting and do other things for a while. I think it rejuvenates me and fuels more creativity.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Cagey View Post
I just finished knitting and crocheting 2 baby blankets for friends of mine and now I feel like I've lost my interest and MoJo for my quilting. Fabric doesn't inspire me, new patterns don't inspire me. I'm getting worried! Any suggestions?
When I am knitting, that's the craft for me! When I am doing smocking, that's the craft I love. There are just not enough days! One day, maybe someday I will have a room where all my crafts are stored on different walls and whenever I go inside, I will be able to turn around a couple of times, point and voila! My day will be made.

Today, I have a quilt top waiting for me and I have spent all day on the computer. How is that for bumming?
Old 04-06-2013, 08:12 AM

Must be a universal virus, it hit me, too, and I live in Finland! I just keep sewing single SMALL blocks to play with colors, about 4-5 inchers, just can't bother with larger ones, and as for patterns,whatever- you name it. Needless to say, I-m getting a big box full of orphans with no idea what I'm making them for. This late spring is really wearing me out.I have been asked to make something spring and 1st of May -themed for sale; WHAT spring???.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:06 AM
Power Poster

I fully understand your situation. I just finished a major project - making the quilt for our family reunion in July. I had a deadline to get it to my niece who got a long-arm last year and she has offered to quilt it. I keep telling her that she has to take over for me some day, but she says I'm too young to retire yet. It's nice to know though that someone will continue the tradition I started OMG about 18 years ago, making a quilt every other year, and the family looks forward to seeing what I come up with using the fabric they send - I choose a color scheme. It works and part of me will be passed down (hopefully) to other generations and I will be remembered.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:40 AM
Power Poster

Sometimes it's just your body telling you to take a break. Maybe you need to just go outside and get some fresh air.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:56 AM

I lose my mojo for weeks at a time, but usually keep reading the QB and eventually something comes up that I just have to try. Sometimes the reason for a slump is that I've reached a part of the quilt that I haven't decided about or just don't like to do, or I don't like the top I made and don't feel like spending more time on it. Our guild does a lot of charity work, and there is always someone who is happy to complete a quilt that someone else burned out on. If I hate it for no good reason, I donate it. Then it's a lot easier to get into the next one. The work and the materials are not wasted. They just went to a different purpose than I had in mind when I started, and I can feel good about the contribution.

Oddly, I may turn around and finish a charity quilt that someone else pieced, and that always seems to give me a little boost in my enthusiasm. We don't have deadlines for the charity work, but I have internal deadlines - I want to get that done by the next guild meeting, so it's almost always something I don't put off. Then I often find myself back in the quilting habit.

If we could buy motivation in a bottle it would be the hottest item at the store.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:46 AM

I just made a major error in a table runner and it's already quilted. Until I decided to put the binding on gift it anyway, I couldn't do anything - not even work on something else. I'm still dragging my feet, but I will put on some music and use the machine that is under the sunlamp and finish it. Thank you for the ideas. Living just east of Lake Michigan means a lot of cloud cover in years the Great lakes don't freeze entirely as moisture is picked as the winds come across the lake. I recommend a sun lamp.

The hardest part is going to be not pointing out my mistake to my daughter. I don't want her eyes to go to every time she sees the runner like mine do now.