Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help - I think I've lost my MoJO! >

Help - I think I've lost my MoJO!

Help - I think I've lost my MoJO!

Old 04-05-2013, 05:57 AM

There was a period of almost two years that I did not sew one single thing. When the desire came back it came back even stronger! Just don't do anything drastic like rid yourself of a valuable fabric stash. A good cleaning re-organizing can be very therapudic!
Old 04-05-2013, 06:42 AM

I've decided to alternate quilting with making American Girl doll clothes. I was getting bored with the whole process of quilting and spending too much time here lol. Now I have more energy for both.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:52 AM

Oh dear, I hope you get it back soon. Even if I don't sew that day I have never had a day where I didn't love fabric.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:00 AM

Golly, glad I am not alone. I having a tough time doing any sewing and quilting. This is the last day of spring break and I had hoped to get lots done. Back to school Monday and I havn't got much done. Hope you get your Mojo back soon.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:00 AM

For my whole life, I've gone into a moods, Sometimes I can't stop reading or quilting or crocheting or painting - then all of a sudden I'll start on something else and do that for as long as the mood strikes me. I never try to force myself to switch moods because then I go into a slump where I don't want to do anything. So I just thank God that I'm in the mood to do something because I truly HATE those slumps, they're depressing.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by Mousie View Post
accept that you are "out of it".
I go through this too and here's what works for me.
I got to "my space" with no intentions of actually making myself do any sewing.
I turn on my favorite music, which for me is some kind of upbeat - "makes me want to get up and dance", happy kind of stuff.
I putz around doing some sprucing up and just pull out some fabric and pet and look at it and reminisce about happy plans for them. (I think of them as living, breathing beings, waiting to be "picked" )
I plan something very small for someone else that needs a pick me up.
Then I set a timer for 15 minutes with the agreement that I can stop ANY TIME I want to.
Usually after a few minutes I get my groove back and go past the timer and I am back in full swing.
If not, and it has happened, I just lather, rinse and repeat later or the next day and it eventually comes back.
The more often I just sit and turn on the machine with something under the pressure foot, the easier it becomes.
Music is HUGE - KEY, for me. hugs and good luck...it never goes away forever, I promise
I just started reading this thread because I feel the same... no motivation and I am signed up for a t-shirt quilt class this coming monday ( I am happy about that though and looking forward to it). I like your suggestions Mousie... especially the timer... sometimes I do that to clean the house.... I'll set the timer to a certain length of time and if I can stay with it that long I reward myself with a break for something I would rather be doing!!
Old 04-06-2013, 05:04 AM

When I lost DH#1, I couldn't touch thread, fabric, yarn. . . anything. I had lost my cheerleader. You just have down times. So, I would first take a trip to a fabric store to make sure your funk is in your heart as well as your head. Then I'd work with whatever I wanted to with no self recrimination. It will all come back. If you don't believe me, just ask DH#2, a fantastic cheerleader and a terrible, TERRIBLE fabric stash enabler! Don't we just love "naughty" guys?
Old 04-06-2013, 05:09 AM
Power Poster

I did not sew at all from Thanksgiving to almost Ground Hog Day. I crocheted for a while, and then started going in the sewing room just to straighten up a bit. One day I got inspired and I'm back "AT IT". I think many people go through this from time to time. It will pass.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:47 AM

Me too... I've learned to knit in the past year, so that I would have a portable craft. Now all I want to do is knit instead. The past few evenings I've made myself sit and work on assembling a block. I'm hoping if I get into the habit of sitting down at my machine daily will bring it back.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by mckwilter View Post
It's OK to take a break. Read some books, do some gardening, prepare some new dishes. Your mojo will come back.
That was my thought. Everyone needs a break, sometimes we choose, sometimes life chooses for us.