Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Basting spray gums up machine, serviceman said.  What's the Elmer's method? >

Basting spray gums up machine, serviceman said. What's the Elmer's method?

Basting spray gums up machine, serviceman said. What's the Elmer's method?

Old 08-12-2015, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by donna13350 View Post
I've done dozens of quilts with spray basting and it didn't gum up my machine. If your service person believes this, it may be a bias on his part because he doesn't understand spray basting, by the time you start to stitch, the glue is dry..not gummy. If you sprayed too close to your machine and got the spray glue inside your machine, then, maybe..but that's still not the fault of the spray glue.
I think I'm going to go spray the six bags I have waiting...waiting for my machine to get fixed. I've never sprayed near my machine. But I have been guilty, on occasion, to quilt too soon after spraying. Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:58 PM

Since I have discovered using Elmer's (school glue only) I have used it to baste, appliqué, layer the quilt, hold the binding for stitching, hold a button in place to hand sew it, the uses seem to be endless. I have even used my iron to dry it faster, and it all washes out in a regular wash cycle.
I bought a little bottle to try it. Get a larger bottle to start. I now buy it by the gallon on Amazon.
For layering, I press my backing, place it face down on the table (covered by plastic to protect the finish) clamp or tape it down, and swizzle glue all over it, about minimum four inches apart, keeping the lines of glue as thin as possible. Gently lay the batting on top trying not to smear the glue. Press gently with your hands and allow to dry. Usually dry in a couple hours. Next, I swizzle glue on the batting, using about the same amount of glue. Again, gently lay the top right side up on the batting/backing. (I usually enlist help with the layering). Allow to dry again. This holds the layers together just fine while I quilt or tie it.
On smaller projects, I have even used my iron on medium heat, (with two pressing cloths, one above, one below) to quick dry some things just be careful, (I do not know if it would wash out nice if it gets scorched), but I have even used it to press a simple appliqués edges down using barely enough to see, and pressing as I go, then put dots around the edge to hold it in place until it is sewn. I also sew my binding on the front, then glue baste it along the center of the strip away from the stitching line, to the back, then press to dry with the iron. Makes sewing by hand or machine (must be bone dry, to machine stitch, to avoid damaging your machine) much faster and no clips or pins to get caught. For buttons, I glue around the edge of the back of a flat button, and set them in place, allow to dry, and then hand or machine stitch. Now my buttons are perfectly straight, and the holes are all lined up neatly, every time.
If any others have found other uses, jump in here and share.