Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I must have crossed a line . . . >

I must have crossed a line . . .

I must have crossed a line . . .

Old 03-07-2014, 03:37 PM

I love giving vintage sewing machines away, but......I am particular who gets them for fear they end up in that unfortunate realm of unappreciative owners accumulating dirt and taking up space. I'm holding a Singer 301A for a young lady to see if she meets the qualifications. Her mother's in prison. The machine belonged to this girls DGGM. She is on the dean's list at the state university. It is housed in my dining room as a showpiece. Someday, she may get it, we will wait a bit longer to gift it.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
For what ever reason, I woke up feeling like my sewing machines have taken over my house! (anyone remember the story - "The crabs take over the island?")

I think getting that last cabinet did it- I had managed to find room for everything else, in one nook or cranny - and I simply can't find room for this last one. And like the straw that broke the camel's back, now I feel like I've gone way out of control and I want my house back!!!!

Maybe it's partly cabinet fever - it's been so cold for so long so I've been trapped inside with my sewing machines LOL!!

So now I'm trying to talk my husband into building another shed. I'd love an addition to the house, but that may not be practical - and we'd need a permit for that. County could care less if we add another shed out back.
Ha, ha...Cathy, I think that you and I are partners in crime! LOL. I'm feeling the same way. I've been harping on my DH to build a BARN for my babies.. Of course, just as soon as he's finished building our house...poor guy. (He loves me anyway.)

~ Cindy
Old 03-08-2014, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by oldsewnsew View Post
google "Tiny Houses" you' ll be fighting with DH who gets to use it!!
OH..."tiny houses" are those things cute, or what? We've ben considering a Tumbleweed home for our guests. On wheels, so it can be moved from time to time. My SMs, however, will need a barn loft apartment, where they can stretch their legs and lounge around.
~Cindy
Old 03-08-2014, 04:54 AM

I just bought some Bullfrog Rust Blocker Strips:http://www.theruststore.com/Bull-Fro...ps-P23C12.aspx

I haven't tried them yet, but I plan to put them in some of the cases for those machines that have to go out in the shed temporarily. Has anyone one else used these?

~Cindy
Old 03-08-2014, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
I just bought some Bullfrog Rust Blocker Strips:http://www.theruststore.com/Bull-Fro...ps-P23C12.aspx

I haven't tried them yet, but I plan to put them in some of the cases for those machines that have to go out in the shed temporarily. Has anyone one else used these?

~Cindy
Interesting...but do they work? I'd like feedback too. They won't help with any shellac issues from the extreme temps. though.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:25 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Interesting...but do they work? I'd like feedback too. They won't help with any shellac issues from the extreme temps. though.
I don't want to be the one to test it out on a good machine though.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:35 AM
Power Poster

Just tell/suggest to DH how it would be so nice for him to build a mancave where the old granary is. Then sneak in a few other suggestions that would give you the whole house or add more space to the house or split it up.
"thinning the herd" is not an option I'm interested in. I worked too hard putting together a specific collection and I want to keep it. I've got 40 acres so lots and lots of room for another shed. Besides, we wanted to take down the old granary (before it falls down) and put up a more suitable building.

Our house is old with small rooms, very limited closet space, and almost no basement. If I had a full basement I'd have lots of room. . . Hmm - if I kicked DH out of his reloading room and opened up the full upstairs, I'd have room for my quilt frame up there. Maybe he would like to move his reloading stuff to a separate building. I'd still like to have a sewing machine studio. My main hangup is not really wanting to move my quilt frame out of the house. However if the shed is built right, it would be as secure as a small house, just no plumbing. All our heat is electric baseboard anyway, and portable AC, so no change there.

Lots to think about. Besides we haven't done a major building project in a few years.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:02 AM

After the 17 hour road trip to visit relatives and do some shopping in the "big city" it's now looking like I'll be spending $3-$4K on an embroidery machine instead of supplies for an outbuilding. DH is happier as he won't have to do any work related to this machine, and when we move I can easily take it with me.

I think it's a distraction tactic, but it works!

The sad note - we are all (I have 9 living siblings) hoping Mom won't make it much longer. She has advanced Parkinsons. I know this isn't the place to discuss this, so please don't respond to that. My sewing machines are very much a legacy I have indirectly from my parents, and I have a lot of interesting emotions tied up with so many of them. I've bought several machines from people who were selling them a few years after their own parent's passed. So I've had a lot of conversations and tears with strangers about the difficult path of terminally ill parents. All the funds I've used to buy machines has come from distributions of the Family Trust made after my father passed away a bit over a year ago.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:08 AM

After the 17 hour road trip to visit relatives and do some shopping in the "big city" it's now looking like I'll be spending $3-$4K on an embroidery machine instead of supplies for an outbuilding. DH is happier as he won't have to do any work related to this machine, and when we move I can easily take it with me.

I think it's a distraction tactic, but it works!

The sad note - we are all (I have 9 living siblings) hoping Mom won't make it much longer. She has advanced Parkinsons. I know this isn't the place to discuss this, so please don't respond to that. My sewing machines are very much a legacy I have indirectly from my parents, and I have a lot of interesting emotions tied up with so many of them. I've bought several machines from people who were selling them a few years after their own parent's passed. So I've had a lot of conversations and tears with strangers about the difficult path of terminally ill parents. All the funds I've used to buy machines has come from distributions of the Family Trust made after my father passed away a bit over a year ago.
Hugs to you...and ditto here. My mom passed away last year and left me a small trust. I paid out everything for everyone else (and then some,) so I decided that I just wanted to buy a few things for myself for a change. Our family is made up of a long line of tailors and seamstresses, so sewing machines are a natural for me. (Thanks Mom.)

As for the shed...just order a Tuff Shed at HD. They'll even put it up for you if you have a cement slab ready. If and when you move, you can disassemble it and take it with you.

~ Cindy