Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I must have crossed a line . . . >

I must have crossed a line . . .

I must have crossed a line . . .

Old 03-05-2014, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I'll also add that I live in an area with rather low humidity - and that does a number way more than below zero temps. Many of the machines I currently owned spent years and years in unheated sheds, and I can't say that I've noticed a difference between them and the ones that stayed inside. I've also seen machines from the south east coast - and years outside in the hot and humid air does a number on them very fast.
That is a problem here in FL, the humidity and SALT AIR is hard on anything metal stored outside even in a building.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Exactly, the shellac gets horrible:<
The problem with extreme cold is that it will alligator the finish. I tried to find a good photo of that online, but all I got was drawings of alligators sewing. Google's polluted!

I think that what happens is that the shellac contracts then cracks and portions of it fall away. Or maybe the metal contracts and the shellac is "too big" and cracks when it no longer fits the machine. Some people will tell you that an aluminum machine especially can expand enough to cause drag problems with just the heat of the light...

I don't know what sort of "extreme" cold either Dakota gets, but it would have to be really really cold and likely for more than a couple of hours. I've seen it here, a whole shed full of them.

I do find that machines I thought I wanted sometimes just don't turn out to be ones I bond with, so I re-home them. I used to think I horded them, now I think of it as a catch and release program.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
How did the owners of vintage and antique sewing machines store their machines in climate-controlled areas before air conditioning was invented?

CD in Oklahoma
I always thought that use was the key to this. If you are regularly getting the machine out and running it, oiling it, keeping everything free and moving and free of dust then I think this would counteract the extremes of temperature with just being left in one position.
My own rationale for buying vintage machines is to get them working and to appreciate them - or allow someone else to. I'd feel too guilty if I had machines that were never going to be used. And I agree that it's fun to get a new one, clean it up, get it sewing... decide where it 'fits' and then if it's not the best sewer or doesn't have some other cool feature, then it's one to re-home to someone who's looking for a good machine and probably only wants one
Old 03-06-2014, 06:14 PM

[QUOTE=ArchaicArcane;6611090]

I don't know what sort of "extreme" cold either Dakota gets, but it would have to be really really cold and likely for more than a couple of hours. QUOTE]

I do! I just got back from a week visiting my mother in ND. I don't think it ever got up to 20 degrees, certainly never above freezing, and was below 0 every morning. It was worse in January.

I guess it has been too long since I have lived there. Here in west Texas we have blowing dirt, so machines suffer if stored in a shed that is not somewhat airtight.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:37 PM

We're supposed to see above freezing for the first time in I think months this weekend. Last weekend was something insane like -31F including the windchill. I'm so ready to defect to Texas myself!
Old 03-06-2014, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
We're supposed to see above freezing for the first time in I think months this weekend. Last weekend was something insane like -31F including the windchill. I'm so ready to defect to Texas myself!
For me "extreme cold" is a couple weeks below 20*F, As far as I know the Dakotas are far worse though I don't think they match your temps.
Rodney
Old 03-06-2014, 08:51 PM

Well, in fairness, -we- aren't usually this cold into March. Man I'm so ready for this winter to f... go away.
When you find yourself yelling at Mother Nature that she's not as funny as she thinks she is... it might be a problem.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:54 AM

I have 2 machines that I leave at the cabin over the winter. .... and it gets cold in the UP of Michigan. But, the first thing I do when I get back is give them each an oil bath and some TLC. I've not had a problem, yet. I just can't haul machines back and forth twice a year. The cabin get's winterized..... then it freezes.

I am at a point where I'm thinking I don't need any more machines. I love having several..... and try to use them all from time to time. But, there are a few that I don't use, so I guess I should re-home them. I do think someone else would use them and they take up room that could be used for something else. We all have our reasons for the machines we have..... and that's the way it should be.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:00 PM

I know how you feel - I counted mine this morning and actually didn't know that I have 12 - time to thin them out!
Old 03-07-2014, 03:31 PM

I came to realize it wasn't the sewing machines - it was the quilt frame. And after talking all over with DH - he convinced me it was just fine where it is (but he didn't care about a dining room anyway LOL!!)

And after looking around and measuring - I figured out I could fit one more treadle in the house. We'll be taking four machines with when we go visit family on Sunday - and hopefully leave two of them for college age nieces who have asked. We are taking a Singer 301, 328 and 237 and a Brother left homing zigzag for them to choose from.

This winter has been very cold - and it started early and is staying way too long!