What was your First Job?

Old 03-21-2011, 10:58 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rose_P
My first summer job was working in a Hallmark card factory. I thought it would be a lot more fun than it was. It certainly made me appreciate a chance to get an education. It was in a dusty wooden building with loud machinery, and a few of the experienced workers were less than friendly to the summer help because we tended to slow things down. They needed the bonuses that they could get for speedy production. I felt bad for them, but don't think they made things any better for themselves by making young people feel bad. I didn't see anyone who wasn't trying hard.

By the way, we were amazed while vacationing in Oregon a few years ago that they did not allow motorists to pump their own gas. Apparently it's against the law (or was at the time). Of course, they were not rushing around washing windows and checking tires and oil as they did when I was a kid, back when gas at the local Fina was 19 cents a gallon. (Does that ever make me feel old!)
LOL My DH and I ran a Fina in 75. Don't remember what gas was then. It was a truck stop and I had to climb up on those diesels and find the dipstick! LOL I did the books mostly as I had a new baby and a 2 yr old but I did pump gas at times when needed. And I did that oil and battery checks and washed windows as a kid in my dad's service station.

Dad had a hand crank cash register. and a hand operated calculator. We did take credit cards but you had to take a metal tray out to the car and have the customer sign the paper that scrolled across the paper tray. Then you gave them a copy and kept a copy to send to the company to get your money.
Oil cans were opened with a metal oil can opener that you stabbed into the can and then pushed the other end of the opener down onto the can creating a spout. NO plastic bottles with screw off lids.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:11 PM

my first job was as a Police Cadet I then joined the regular force for four years
Old 03-22-2011, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
I never rogued but knew kids who did. I did detassel tho. That was a hot hard job. It was either too cold or too hot or too wet. Walking through wet corn stalks is no picnic. It gives you corn rash and the leaves cut like knives. But I did it for 3 yrs.
Man...I put roguing and detassling out of my mind evidently. It was not my first job, but I didnt like doing either one! I remember one day I wanted out of there so badly that I faked being sick. They sent me to the bus. When a supervisor came around, I took a swig of my hot vegetable soup that my mom had packed, chewed it up slightly, and then spit it out like I had thrown up. Needless to say, I got to go home. That was the summer I decided to teach private swim lessons...and was much happier.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:12 AM

When I was 13 I worked on a tobacco farm for the summer (agriculture - 13 year olds could legally work). I earned $1.05/hour, worked 9 hours a day, 6 days a week. Got up at 5:00 a.m., caught the bus at 6:00, started work at 7:00. When I was 16, I worked in a hat factory for 3 days. I was let go because I didn't work fast enough. After that, I always did office type work.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:23 AM

My first job was in a delicatesan outside Chicago. I always smelled like fried donuts, baked ham and potato salad. I actually enjoyed the job and I love to cook to this day. I still make way too much potato salad when I'm making it for a party. I made friends with lots of regular customers. I made .35 an hour.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:24 AM

My first job other than babysitting was as a seamstress in a shop that made clothing the summer after graduation from high school (summer of '66." The supervisor would drop a big bundle of cloth and I would sew the collar seams. After about 2 weeks I was called to work at the post office. I was hired with 3 other women and we were the first four women to work at the post office in Bay City, MI. It was a good job with good pay for the time. The men were fun to work with and were very worried about me going off to nursing school in Kalamazoo as this was the summer that 8 student nurses were murdered in Chicago by Richard Speck.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:33 AM

I started my first job in 1969, a week after high school graduation. I went to work for The Department of Justice in Washington, DC. I was a Clerk Stenographer, Grade GS 3.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:34 AM

My first real job was with a home builder as his secretary. It was really a lot of fun. I got to look at lots of house plans and plan for the future. In the end, I got none of the neat ideas I had stored in my mind. ha ha
Old 03-22-2011, 05:44 AM

My first job? I was a mail girl at Bulova Watch co. in New York. I delivered mail to the manufacturing floor. I LOVED it.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:48 AM

My first job was as a paper girl. I had a route that I shared with my sister. We walked our route because of the Pa. hills. We did it after school during the week and I hated getting up early on Sunday mornings, especially in the winter