What was your First Job?

Old 03-22-2011, 07:58 AM

My first job was working at Bullock's Dept. Store in Pasadena, CA, $1.35 an hour, back in 1967. You were suppose to be 18 to start work there and I just turn 16. Left when I was 18. Started out as a bus girl then made it to the dessert, salad and sandwich departments. In the summer when the baker went on vacation, I got to bake all the pies and muffins. Lots of fun, especially since we all became good friends. At Christmas time, got to see when Lucille Ball came in. She always came to the restaurant and eat after their shopping. The restaurant also served as a base for the Rose Parade Queen and guests. We also had fashion shows there. Many memories. Met a boy there, dated but didn't marry. Fun times!
Old 03-22-2011, 08:03 AM

My first job in 72 besides babysitting was working at a place called Stagecoach Stop. It was set up like an old western town, and I worked in the trail shop selling boots, moccasins, and old fashion toys. We had a general store where you cold get a slab of cheese or a pickle right out of the barrel, a saloon where you get food and a sasaparilla, and many other stores. They had a gun fight on main street with the cowboys on horseback, and a lot going on. Across the street was the Golden Nugget Restaurant. It was a fun summer. There were other amusement places in the Irish Hills like Prehistoric Forest, and Mystery Hill. All these places hired teens, so you could always get a summer job.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:33 AM

Wow! I started working during the summer at a very early age. My first job was picking cherries. My grandpa made a little harness to go over my shoulders and my mom donated a bread tin. Dad drilled holes on each end of the tin and I was ready to pick cherries and fill up my pint sized bucket. I also worked in a small clothing factory during my college years. Made me sympathize with the garmet workers in the early 1900's.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:35 AM

My first job was working behind the lunch counter at Woolworth's - I started the day I turned 16 and continued until I graduated high school.....

thanks for bringing back the memories

Judy
Old 03-22-2011, 08:37 AM

My first job was working on the dairy farm with my dad. Started driving tractor when I was a few weeks less than 3. I was always with my dad, especially after he lost his arm in a farm accident. I also picked cherries at that age. My first away from home job was at a local grocery/meat market where I did a little bit of everything. Started at 50 cents an hour.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:39 AM

My first job was babysitting the neighbor's kids for 25 cents an hour. My second job was picking strawberries for a local farmer. One fall, I picked potatoes (they were dug up and sitting on top of the soil). I've had lots of jobs since then, from being a a "go-fer" for my first husband's sporting goods/toy store, a realtor, a secretary/receptionist for three different construction companies, to picking and selling fruit, making pies, jams and jellies to sell on my parents' farm, to working in a fabric store, and my last and best job, was as a pharmacy technician. I am retired now, on disability from having lupus, fibromyalgia and problems from injuries sustained in a car accident 11 years ago. Now my job is taking care of myself and my husband, who has chronic lymphocytic leukemia.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:51 AM

Not counting baby-sitting or dog-sitting (my grandauntie's spoiled big dog)my first job was at a fishing resort. Clean cabins and clean the two big public restrooms, there was one at each end of the resort. My first day on the job I was feeling so sad for myself I was cleaning the men's toilets and crying. One of the fellows that also worked there must have heard me sniffing, he stopped at the big open door and asked what was wrong. I told him, he said "I'll clean the mens and you do the ladies and we just won't tell the big boss". Now how sweet was that? That was my first job ages ago.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:54 AM

My first job was being a hostess in a restaurant. The funny part was I was leaning over wiping off a table when one of the regulars came up behind me and gave me a Christmas goose. He was laughing until I turned around, thats when he found out that I wasn't the person he thought I was.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:27 AM

My first job was in the credit department of Block and Kuhl's Department store. It opened my eyes early and taught me lessons about credit. Even back then (1956) people had huge (to me) credit balances. I couldn't understand why they would only pay a little of their balance and let the interest add up. It was the best lesson a young girl could get.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:36 AM

i was 13 yr and in the 8th grade when my parents bought a small grocery store a few miles out of town with 2 gas pumps (1 had to be manually pumped). i stocked shelves, waited on customers, sliced cold cut meats, filled their cars with gas, and whatever.