What was your First Job?

Old 03-22-2011, 09:43 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

I was a shampoo girl while going thru cosmetology school. worked at a chain salon (REGIS) for about a year before a higher paying job came along. never looked back.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:48 AM

My first job was at an insurance company, started my senior yr, then went full time as soon as I graduated. Been in insurance in some way ever since. Either for an insurance company, insurance agency, doing the insurance claims in a chiropractors office, and did it all in a dental office, then finally got to just receptionist for 5 dr. before becoming disabled.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:51 AM

Does working in the cotton fields for relatives count? Other than that, my first job was as a stenographer in the Women's Army Corp (I was a WAC), now it is just U.S.Army, male and female together.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:25 AM

I live in the Willamette Valley in Oregon so while I was growing up we would pick strawberries, cherries, beans and prunes during the summertime. My Uncle had a strawberry farm and every year we were expected to live with my Aunt and Uncle and eight cousins to work in the strawberry fields. Lots of good memories of hot summer days and yummy fresh strawberry shortcake. There was a big pond that we would swim in almost every day with the biggest tadpoles I have ever seen. It's a wonder we didn't drown because there was never an adult to be seen. One favorite memory is walking barefoot on the road to the fields barefoot and having the soft dirt squish up between my toes.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:38 AM

When I was eleven we moved to a new house with my new stepfather. There were two dear little (tipsy) elderly ladies who lived across the back fence, and they hired me for "odd jobs".

Gay was very sweet and dear,...and her younger sister Helen was a pure and simple curmudgeon. They were complete opposites...but both liked their "cocktail".

I cleaned their cat boxes, washed dishes, dead-headed geraniums and petunias all summer long, watered plants, brought in and unpacked various kinds of deliveries (often large bottles of booze), ran the vac, swept,...etc...whatever they thought needed doing on any given day. Usually my "chores" lasted 15-30 minutes, and they paid me a dollar a day, very faithfully.

I worked for them for three years, and got pretty close to them. Then we moved, and I lost track of them.

Helen died when I was in High School, and Gay passed just after I graduated from college. I cried when I learned about Gay. I would love to have know them in their younger days---sometimes I wish I could go back and see what people were like "back then".
Old 03-22-2011, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by adrianlee
Not counting baby-sitting or dog-sitting (my grandauntie's spoiled big dog)my first job was at a fishing resort. Clean cabins and clean the two big public restrooms, there was one at each end of the resort. My first day on the job I was feeling so sad for myself I was cleaning the men's toilets and crying. One of the fellows that also worked there must have heard me sniffing, he stopped at the big open door and asked what was wrong. I told him, he said "I'll clean the mens and you do the ladies and we just won't tell the big boss". Now how sweet was that? That was my first job ages ago.
Very kind sweet man!
Old 03-22-2011, 11:14 AM

My first job was at age 5 stuffing sections into the newspapers my grandfather owned. I begged to go every week so I could stay up late.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:15 AM

When I was in high school, I was a "candy striper" at the hospital. Then my senior year they hired me as a nursing assistant. I did that through the summer before I entered nursing school.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:04 PM

My first job was picking strawberries. The best part of it was when the season was over we got to have a huge strawberry fight with all the rotten strawberries.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:23 PM

My first job was baby sitting for all the neighbors. Made $2.00 for a whole evening of sitting.