What was your First Job?

Old 03-22-2011, 03:07 PM

My first job was babysitting and then in high school (age 14) I worked in the Special Diet Kitchen at the local hospital. We prepared dinner trays for patients on special diets and then we cleaned the trays after dinner and washed dishes. What memories! Pay for 3 hour shift was $1.50.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:08 PM

Other than mowing lawns and babysitting, my first paying job was at the school working in the cafeteria. I thought it was great to get paid to go to school.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:12 PM
Banned

I was born in 1950 & I was raised in western Oklahoma. Yes, that makes me 60 now.
anyway, our country school would let out for 2 weeks just before Christmas time so the kids could help their families get the cotton crop in. We pulled a cotton sack along the row and when we got 200 pounds in the sack we would get $2. I was knee high to a grasshopper when I started working in the cotton fields, not sure of my age. In the summer we had to hoe the cotton fields to remove the weeds. I am not sure which was worse, pulling or chopping.
When I turned 14 I got a real job as a carhop. I think I made 60 cents per hour.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:15 PM

I filled bubble gum machines and did baby sitting.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:26 PM

I lit the stoves in the Sunday school rooms at my church every Sunday. Then kept them burning until the teachers arrived. During the week I would split the wood and pack it to the rooms. I had 21 stoves and the sawdust furnace to heat the sanctuary. Stoves also needed lighting for other events like prayer meetings and pot lucks. This was a great job and paid me $5.00 a week. Listing this job on job applications ended up being worth more than the pay. A good conversation starter.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:29 PM

I worked in a dry goods store when I was 16. I worked in the back pricing the merchandise as it came in. In the summer my boss said I had to overcome my shyness so he put me to work as a sales clerk on the floor. He stood right with me to help me. He was so patient and kind. He really helped me to "blossom" that summer. I worked there until I graduated from high school.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:38 PM

Other than babysitting I was a shampoo girl in a salon. Back when a 10 cent tip was a big deal. I think I got paid less than minimum at the time because I get tips. I remember the first time I got a quarter tip I was so excited. LOL
Old 03-22-2011, 05:32 PM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cherylynne
Originally Posted by np3
My mom was a phone operator and she got me a job with AT&T as a long distance operator. I was 18 at the time. Did it while I was in college. That was back in the days when you had a big board in front of you and you had these cords to pick up calls when the lights appeared. One cord to answer and one to dial out. Totally cool!!
I was a telephone operator, too. I was hired as a temp, but I worked for almost 4 years while I went to college. I made $78.00 a week and I was able to pay for my whole college tuition and books when I worked full time each summer.
The more calls you could get up, the faster the hours passed. We collected the money for the first three minutes, timed the call and collected the overtime. The coins were identified by the sound they made as the dropped into the telephone. We would make connections for emergency calls, announce person to person calls and ask for acceptance of collect calls. I don't think that the young adults of today even know there was such a thing as these different kinds of calls. That's OK, because I would never of dreamed of using texting, call waiting or apps.
This brings back so many memories. Forgot about the sound of the coins until you mentioned it.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by np3
My mom was a phone operator and she got me a job with AT&T as a long distance operator. I was 18 at the time. Did it while I was in college. That was back in the days when you had a big board in front of you and you had these cords to pick up calls when the lights appeared. One cord to answer and one to dial out. Totally cool!!
I was a switchboard operator at a hotel downtown St Louis and so remember those cords!
Old 03-22-2011, 06:19 PM

My first job was culling peaches at a peach packing house in middle GA the summer before senior year in high school. I had worked the summer before as a volunteer (candy striper) at a hospital but I don't guess that counts...was only a couple days a week. The packing house was a regular work week and it paid (not a lot by today's standards but for a teenager with no financial responsibilities...wheeee)

Anyway the great thing about the peach culling job was that all my high school friends were there too. And you were allowed to eat all the peaches you wanted as they came by on the belt on the way to the boxes. The first day I ate six peaches.

I haven't been too fond of peaches since then ;-)