What was your First Job?

Old 03-22-2011, 06:58 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

My first job was working in a local greenhouse. Watering plants, and transplanting seedlings. If I was *very* lucky I would get to help make the Easter corsages.

Gee... I can't even remember the last time I saw anyone wearing a corsage on Easter. Guess they are no longer in vogue around here. Pity...
Old 03-22-2011, 07:30 PM

Rhonda, I think that you are my sister, Your story is exactly the same as mine, I can change tires, oil and many other things BUT DON'T. At the same time my Uncle got ill and gave my parents his garbage route so I was also a garbage girl. We were a family of 6 girls (no Boys). It was very helpful to grow up with a Automoble knowledge.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by cherrio
I was a shampoo girl while going thru cosmetology school. worked at a chain salon (REGIS) for about a year before a higher paying job came along. never looked back.
I worked at Regis, as a hairstylist, loved it just didnt pay enough...
Old 03-22-2011, 07:51 PM

I filled in for a gal that worked at a vet's office, while she went on vacation
Wel, before that I baby sat, so technically, that was my first
Old 03-22-2011, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by np3
My mom was a phone operator and she got me a job with AT&T as a long distance operator. I was 18 at the time. Did it while I was in college. That was back in the days when you had a big board in front of you and you had these cords to pick up calls when the lights appeared. One cord to answer and one to dial out. Totally cool!!
Not my first job, but that telephone system was what we used in the dorm when I was in nursing school! I messed that up bad enough, can't imagine what I would have done with the one you worked on! :shock: :shock:
Old 03-22-2011, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by annyroony2
I worked part time at our local bank in my senior year of high school. Enjoyed it most of the time.
i did the exact same thing! I really wish that it would have turned into a permanent position. It was only a year long temp position. I really enjoyed it except for the really rude people who got mad when they messed something up....
Old 03-22-2011, 08:23 PM

First paying job was as a graduate nurse at the hospital we trained at.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:54 PM
Dee

I worked at the phone co. as a long distance operator.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:26 PM

Never did babysitting. My first job was a TEMP (that turned permanent) at a Dog Grooming Shop. I was 14 yrs old and entered the clients index card info into the computer database (it was dot promt) and answer phones after school and Saturdays. After a few months when I had entered all 1,000+ records in the computer, it "blew up" and then I had to stay on to start client folders like they have a dental offices with the color tabs.

Three years later, I was hiring, training, grooming, ordering supplies, and filling in for the boss. The summer after high school I even competed in a national dog grooming competition and won 2nd place in my division. I continued to groom a couple days a week for the next 8 years.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:31 PM

My granparents owned a restaurant and on week ends I would wash dished (by hand) all day for .50 then go to candy store and by sibling treats. I was 9 years old. By 14 I could work as a waitress (for family) by then my aunt owned the restaurant. I got $1.00 an hour... Worked 7 days a week. (after school) and week-ends. I think back and could never imagine my children working that young, even at 14 not every day. How times have changed. When I was 10 the neighbor hired me to baby sit a new born.... so unreal now to think of a 10 year old baby sitting a new baby. Have a good day.