Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Christmas Gifts That Make You Go...Hmmmmmm >

Christmas Gifts That Make You Go...Hmmmmmm

Christmas Gifts That Make You Go...Hmmmmmm

Old 12-15-2011, 02:19 PM

I love to shop for gifts in antique shops and try to find beautiful old things that are only availble there. Still, I know that sometimes people probably don't appreciate the gift and and wonder why they are getting something old and used. I do tend to buy china, crystal or silver things but not always. It helps to make gift giving easier if someone has a collection of something that you can add to.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:27 PM

I agree that I also think it's ok to regift. #1 rule, no one should know it's a regift. #2 rule, it should not be worn out, abused or well used (past it's expiration). #3 rule, hopelessly outdated.(may not be safe to use)

In regifting, It should be thoughtful. That it is actually the right gift for the right person. Or don't give it.

All of you that have received less than steller gifts. Kudos to you for finding the humor. And protecting you children from disappointment. (What a valuable gift your humor and love was.)
Old 12-15-2011, 03:05 PM

My beloved MIL loved glitz and glitter and was always trying to add some sparkle to dull old me. Every Christmas she gave me a sweater or sweatshirt with sequins, jewels, sparkle and shine. Every year I wore the last year's item to the family get together for the next year. I never minded her giving me items I know she loved and thought were beautiful, as I know she loved me too and thought I was beautiful. I miss her so much, and I would happily wear sparkly sweaters all winter long if we could have her back with us.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:27 PM

Our first Christmas as a couple, we had an infant daughter, and we were not well off. He gave me a big jar of Pickles. I was stunned at first. Then I laughed. He looked at me and said "You like the Pickles don't ya? So I thought it would be a treat for you." Once I got the gist of his sentiment, I was ok with it. Now, I laugh.
For our wedding gift, 4 couples in his family gave us an electric can opener. All the names were on the card, and my DH said "Oh great, and uncle Bob works at that company and got a discount!" We laugh now at that.
Our presents were weird, just how they were presented. They'd be hidden in something else or be a box in a box in a box. We tried to have fun and laugh.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:12 PM

I have never re-gifted anything myself. However, I do not see that there is anything wrong about it as long as it has never been used and is in the original box, if there is one. Also, make sure it is not re-gifted to the person who gave it to you originally.

Regarding the most unusual gift ever received......many years ago I was given a set of dishes with a cup that sits on the dish. It was in good condition, but was definitely re-gifted.

I remember one time at a Christmas Mother's Club party we had to bring an exchange gift to the party. I received a very nice gift, however, my friend that was with me received a tube of toothpaste. She was shocked and I was too. How could someone do something like that? Needless to say, my friend was very hurt and I felt so bad for her.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:43 PM

I made a set of Christmas stocking: red velvet & white fake fur.
I put praise on one and God on the other. Thought they were different and would bring Christ back into Christmas. One person like the idea and thought it great, one thought it was wrong to put God on a stocking.
I still like it and hope it brings God to everyones mind. It is Jesus birthday and he is the
reason for the season.

Last edited by sherian; 12-15-2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:46 PM

Not a Christmas Gift, but a birthday gift - my dad got me a gas tank for my car!!!! Didn't get to open it, because he had it in the trunk of his car (he did put a bow on it). Then he took it to the shop that was doing work on my car!!!!! Still get a kick out of it. All my friends say "Remember be happy with what you get, after all it's hard to top a gas tank!"
Old 12-15-2011, 06:24 PM

When I worked, we use to have a White Elephant Exchange instead of having a regular Christmas gift exchange. The gift you brought had to be something you received as a gift, but was unused. Most gifts were wrapped really pretty which usually meant 'picker beware'. The prettier the package the worse the gift. We had gifts that people had stored away from the 70's, including sweaters & psychedelic placemats. It was absolutely hiliarious! Some gifts even came back the next year.

Maybe we could do some sort of exchange like this next year....hmmmmmmmmmm
Old 12-15-2011, 06:54 PM

DH once gave me a set of knives that he really wanted. He's lucky I didn't throw them at him.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:20 PM

The first year after being married to DH, his niece gave me a gift. Actually it was her 4 year old daughter who handed it to me. I opened it and it was a very used and abused piece of Tupperware. I did not say anything, I think I was in shock. Later my DH asked his sister if the gift was meant to be given to me. His sister said that the 4 year old wanted to give me a gift and her mother was cleaning out her cabinets. She had thrown away the Tupperware and decided to let her daughter give it to me for Christmas. Needless to say, I took this 'gift' as intended and never went back to her home. It was meant to hurt me and it did, but not for long. I knew who I was dealing with and whose problem it really was. I was gracious to the 4 year old and that helped me a great deal, she liked me after all.