Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I won a raffle quilt.  Would everyone hate me if I sold it? >

I won a raffle quilt. Would everyone hate me if I sold it?

I won a raffle quilt. Would everyone hate me if I sold it?

Old 01-06-2012, 04:16 AM

Ok....here's my 2 cents worth.......I agree with everybody who said the quilt is yours, do whatever you want to with it. I do not agree with those who are making this about the guild. As someone said, they made their money, so the purpose for them making the quilt, was fulfilled. This quilt was not specifically made for you, so I don't understand why people would get their feelings hurt or their knickers in a knot or whatever else they might do. They should be happy that whoever buys it must love it or they wouldn't have bought it. As far as income tax or whatever else you want to call it, I guess that means then that all the nice things we make and GIVE to people they must claim??? Take whatever you can get for the quilt and buy yourself some quilting stuff.....sooooo in short form........sell the quilt, enjoy the money and feel no remorse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wendy
Old 01-06-2012, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by luvstitches View Post
You won that quilt and now it is yours. You are free to do with it as you want. The person that buys this quilt will love it and cherish it.
I totally agree with this. The quilt is yours to do with as you please. I'm sure it won't be the first raffle prize that was won and sold.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:29 AM

I donated a quilt to be raffled and when you do a raffle, really you have no control or should have over what the winner does with the quilt. Any of the quilters who worked on that would surely understand,after all you are a quilter yourself and have many quilts to use. I think sometimes God gives us things in life to use for the right reasons. You have illness in your family, you are elderly and I am sure he would rather you put the money to good use for you and your husband. Good luck with the sale of this quilt, and just keep buying raffle tickets to help out the organizations that need help.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:30 AM
Swap Hosts

If you want to sell it, then sell it. Just don't say anything more about it from here on out. I am assuming that your quilting group friends don't generally come into your bedrooms to see if it's in use, so the less they know, the better. And if anyone asks, just say it is being put to good use. They don't have to know WHO is using it!
Old 01-06-2012, 05:36 AM

I belong to a guild and we have our quilts that we sell opportunity tickets for. If someone won a quilt they will have the opportunity to do with the quilt what they want. Our last quilt was very modern. Some loved it and some bought tickets and said they were going to give it away if the won it. That is their choice and it is also your. Do what you want with the quilt and enjoy what ever it is. The price you get for the quilt is your business. If you sell it for big or small bucks, it is what YOU think is fair. Good luck
Old 01-06-2012, 05:38 AM

Regifting is Biblical pass it on to someone you love!
Old 01-06-2012, 05:39 AM

It is yours to do as you wish. Good luck and hope all works out well for you.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:54 AM

Thanks for all of your suggestions and support. If I manage to sell the quilt I can use the money to purchase more fabric and batting for my fulltime hobby of making Linus Quilts.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:57 AM

I agree that the quilt is yours to do with as you please. You paid for the raffle ticket, & took the chance to win/not win it. Your obligation ends there.Good luck & congratulations.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:57 AM

The quilt is yours to do what you want with it and you do not have to tell anyone what you did with it. Congratulations on winning the quilt.