Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Please tell me it isn't just me!!! >
  • Please tell me it isn't just me!!!

• Please tell me it isn't just me!!!

Old 11-21-2012, 05:20 AM

I don't count my projects I have fabric in bags with patterns plus kits plus projects I am working on and a huge stash I need 2 more life times LOL
    Old 11-21-2012, 05:34 AM

I have 3 started, and one in the quilting rack! I go back and forth, mood thingy you know?...Looks like your stack is dwindling....congrats!
    Old 11-21-2012, 05:36 AM

There are so many UFOs at my house we're in danger of being hauled off to Area 51. Not just quilts but embroidery, rag rugs, punch needle, and pennies.
    Old 11-21-2012, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Mary O
    Silly question
    Best answer so far...I am still giggling!
    Old 11-21-2012, 05:51 AM

I have 5 going right now! I'm with you, I switch between them depending on my mood. Right now I'm trying to finish a scrappy one. I get all mine finished but they all take turns! I do restrain from cutting another until I get one done. I was sewing all day today but my back said ...take a rest!
    Old 11-21-2012, 05:51 AM

At this moment, I am determined to finish my Challenge Quilt top before the end of the week. I finished one mystery quilt top this year, one table topper (originally for a memo board). My guild also had a block swap this year and I made one to swap and one to keep. I was very good at keeping up and only have a couple of my blocks to finish before the end of the year.

Our guild completed a r/w/b star quilt to donate to one of the American Legion Posts to use as a fund raiser. They liked it so much they will be raffling it off at the County Fair the firsst week in July, 2013.

Last year our guild decided to only work on one large quilt project a quarter, and fill in with smaller projects. One month we did the Jelly Roll 1600 Race, that top is awaiting a border. At this point I am lucky to have a small space in which to sew -- all my cutting is still done at the extension office during UFO's. One month we did FQ Bags -- I made two to the point of the last three steps (one for me and one for my SIL). I finished my SIL's last month and will mail it to her for Christmas. After my Challenge Quilt top is complete next week, I will finish my FQ Bag.

All-in-all, I did not do too badly this year. I plan to handquilt my projects and they take up far less room in a two-gallon ZipLok bag than a completed quilt does. I have learned to only start and work on projects I really like, so I only commit to certain projects. I don't always like the projects chosen by the guild, sometimes I work on a totally different project where I am forced to challenge my current skill level.

I have worked mostly from my stash this year, only purchasing additional fabrics/colors needed for each project. This was the first year I had a dedicated sewing space, such as it was. I like having options, so it doesn't bother me to have more than one project.
    Old 11-21-2012, 05:55 AM

I'm just like you. That's why I have so many to do's and not enough finished.
    Old 11-21-2012, 06:12 AM

I like to finish one, then start another. Not sure why, might have to do with not having alot of storage room.
    Old 11-21-2012, 06:16 AM

I am a "mood" person (or have ADD) and I have several WIPs, each one very different from the others. For example, one is ready to be machine quilted, but I have to hone my rusty FMQ skills; 2 are being hand quilted (1 upstairs and 1 downstairs); another is being appliqued and another is being pieced. I hate clutter/mess, so only have as many projects going as I have space for but they are all accessible all of the time. I never have any time-sensitive projects, so I can plod merrily along at my own speed and no one cares, least of all me. I also have 2 large boxes of tops and 2 boxes of machine embroidered blocks waiting for their turn to become finished quilts.
    Old 11-21-2012, 06:17 AM

My goal this year was to finish the 3 BOM quilt kits and make a rather complicated Queen sized quilt (my largest) for our son & DIL. I finished the first BOM within the first few months and sent it to the LAQ. I bound it and it is the first quilt I have kept for myself! I started on the second BOM and completed four blocks. Then I got a request for another quilt for my DGD as she was moving from a youth bed to a twin bed. That was fine, but then there were the matching valances etc. : ) Vacations with family came and went..........then we found out both DIL's were expecting. Yippee! So.........2 baby quilts and 1 very slow baby afghan later, we have an adorable new GS. I did manage to piece the Queen sized quilt between times and it is at the LAQ and will be returned in time for binding before Christmas. I also managed to get a small lap quilt 36"x 45" done for our DGD's 4th birthday and will mail it out the day after Thanksgiving. In the meantime we are helping our son and DIL move this week and next, plus helping our DDIL with the newborn GS since she is still recovering from her C-Section. Still all is well with the world and we feel honored they asked us to help, so no real quilting is planned until after Christmas. I do have a quilt retreat planned Dec. 30 - Jan 1st however and plan on starting the baby quilts for our second DIL. So.......the original well intentioned BOM are still unfinished AND I have 3 more now. I feel I am constantly in flux depending on the wind, ha, ha. As long as I keep moving forward, I am okay with working on several projects. Sometimes life just throws us a curve ball and we have to roll with it. Happy Thanksgiving.......we will be counting our blessings and count our quilting friends in among those!