Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please tell me it isn't just me!!! >

Please tell me it isn't just me!!!

Please tell me it isn't just me!!!

Old 11-20-2012, 05:48 PM

A LA Quilter here in town passed away a few years ago and the kids and husband put all her projects up for sale and sold her longarm too. I purchased a couple of totes full of fabric and I found a log cabin quilt that was started in all neutral colors. She was such a wonderful quilter and I don't feel that I can complete that project and do it any justice. She had it all in the tote with all the strips cut and ready to sew on.
Pictures attached.....I would love to complete it but it just sits in the UFO pile....LOL

Originally Posted by Treasureit View Post
I have several that I started years ago that won't be done any time soon...just not into them any more. I do try to finish the one I am working on tho. I have a hand applique that is on going...just when I am the sit and stitch kinda mood.

Here is some food for thought for you procrastinators. I went to a home a a lady who's sister passed and left a HUGE room full of quilting...Lots of UFO's...I really don't enjoy working on other peoples projects and she said other people who had come said they weren't interested either.

What was sad is that I suspect many of them would get tossed or donated....and unless you are one who keeps all the fabric together with the UFO...then no one will be able to finish it as planned. I hate to waste fabric, so this keeps me on task more.
Attached Thumbnails quilts-001.jpg   quilts-005.jpg   quilts-002.jpg  
Old 11-20-2012, 06:41 PM

I just can't wait to start a new quilt when I see something I really like, therefore, I have lots of UFO's. My oldest one is probably 12-13 years old. I still plan to finish it one day but new stuff keeps coming up.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:42 PM

I have no idea how many, but I know there are at least 30 in various stages and going back 15 to 18 years. I know what my News Years Resolution should be!!
Old 11-20-2012, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
I have the opposite issue. I can't bring myself to start another before the one I am working on is done. I know this comes from my upbringing. When I would even start to think about making anything new... my Mom would ask "did you finish the one you are working on?"... We had a very strict rule no new fabric could be cut till the the current project was done. There was another rule.. fabric had to be .50 cents a yard or less. Patterns had to have at least 3 different items( skirt , pants, and something else).. and those had to be under. 50 cents.
So even though I have tried to start a project without completing one... it just creates stress.. this overwhelming feeling that what I am doing is wrong. Funny how we can get conditoned and it stays with us for a lifetime.
I say stick with what works it seem like I have more unfinished projects, you don't want to have too many UFO's
Old 11-20-2012, 07:19 PM

Have only worked on one at a time so far. That doesn't stop my mind from mentally starting the next couple "must do" projects.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:35 PM

I find I am best at gathering excitement and shopping for the perfect pattern, getting it all washed and cut, and then beginning......land then working a bit more....land then seeing another wonderful quilt with an oh so easy pattern.....and look at that fabric!.......and so it goes...but I only have 8 projects started.......so here we go again...lol!
Old 11-20-2012, 08:51 PM
Power Poster

I also have my share of UFO's in various stages. They are in different stages of completion. It keeps things interesting! Quilting is my therapy-that's my story!
Old 11-20-2012, 09:01 PM

When I first started quilting, I had one project going at a time and I worked on it constantly (even through power outages, plugged the machine into a car battery, lol) until I finished. It was too confusing to have more than one. Now I'm finding I'll get a few things going and it helps in a few ways:
When I have only a certain amount of time, I can choose to work on a project that fits my timeframe;
I don't get so crazy to finish a project that I rush through, thus I'm slowing down and taking my time which results in better work;
If I get frustrated with a project I can set it aside and do something else for a bit.
I still keep it to one main project with a few smaller things going on the side.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:02 AM

I have seven finished tops. I am also working on five more.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:03 AM

I have this same 'trouble'! It adds to the excitement in my sewing room!!!!