Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you have a serger ? >

Do you have a serger ?

Do you have a serger ?

Old 01-12-2010, 10:02 AM

I have 2, one Bernina & a Janome, love both of them. I keep one threaded with dark colors & one with lightcolors. I use it for all sorts of clothes, sweatshirts, t-shirts, nightgowns, dog clothes, table coverings. I took a babylock course a couple of years ago where the teacher showed ways to use a serger with quilting and it was amazing how fast blocks were made & even 3 d ones. I also make lots of shrugs & use them to finish the edges. I made a dressy jacket with nothing but the serger & entered it in the local county fair & won a first & best of adult clothing. So they can be quite useful. I think it just depends on how much you are encouraged to try using one.

Debs :thumbup:
Old 01-12-2010, 10:08 AM

Quite a few years ago when I was in 2nd grade Santa brought me a White serger for 4-H sewing. It finally died and my mom and I bought a new Bernina serger over the summer for $700. I love it. I used it most of Sunday to make a curtain for my sewing room and a curtain to hang in my kitchen as a room divider to my back hallway. It works so great for projects like that. I also have a pair of yoga pants that have shrunk and I need to wack off and turn into crop yoga pants.

As I think about this I just finished cutting squares of ogdensburg to embroider and it is fraying like mad. I might do a quick serge around there edges.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Debra Mc
I have been toying with the ideal of getting a serger & was wondering who has one & do you like it. You can spend up to $3000.00 on some & don't know that much about them.
I had one for years that I hated. Then I splurged and bought the Babylock Air threaded version and absolutely love it. It threads and sets the tension...wonderful. It was $1500 and is well worth it if you sew lots. I find it actually makes you want to use it!
Old 01-12-2010, 10:40 AM

I have one and use it frequently but not for quilting per se. It is great for finishing the inside seams of purse and totes. Sometimes I can eliminate the separate lining and attach inner pockets directly to the outer layer. Use it more for clothing though, I must admit. Kaye Wood does have a great pattern for a quick quilt made completely on the serger which is wonderful for kids or a charity project. I think it is called the 5 hour quilt. I have also seen patterns in the Clotilde catalog for serger quilts, but they all appear to just be variations on the Kaye Wood original idea. I can't imagine using a serger for quilting requiring precision piecing, but if you just want "sturdy" for play quilts or picnic throws, it would be ever so much faster. If you have no other use for one outside of quilting, it would be quite an expense though.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:05 AM

I have a Bernina 800 and use it alot when making Kay Wood's 6 Hour quilts. The nice thing about this pattern is you are putting the 3 layers together at once and ready for binding.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:01 PM

I HAVE A BABY LOCK ,AND HAVE USED IT ALOT WHEN I WASMAKING MY OWN CLOTHES AND SEWING FOR OTHERS, BUT WHHENI STARTED QUILTING ,THERES NOTHING THAT YOU USE IT FOR IN THAT .I STILL USE IT ONCE IN AWILE IF I AM MAKING DRAPES OR FINISHING A HEM ON SLACKS.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:10 PM

I have had my serger for over 18 years ( a mother's day gift from my kids) and I love it. Last winter I made a Christmas quilt and used all flannels and sewed it on the serger. It sewed it and bound the seams and the quilt turned out really nice. I have also made napkins with the rolled hem and they looked great. I don't use my serger as much as I do my machine of course, but it is nice to know it is there if I need it.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:15 PM

I have a Bernina Funlock (bought in 1992 for around $700) and it has really taken a beating. I have used it sewing costumes for the high school musicals (picture 70 pairs of tights for the guys!), for my family to make clothes and lately for piecing quilts. I love that the seams come out so clean and will use it until it dies! I have really only had it serviced a handful of times. I would say that I use my serger for about 80% of my sewing.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:20 PM

I have one. Havent used it much since the grands got grown but I"m going to use mine to make fleece hats and mittens for the homeless. We just went through the Artic Blast and hats and gloves were in great need and they would be easy on the surger.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:31 PM

I don't have one, would love to someday.