Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you have a serger ? >

Do you have a serger ?

Do you have a serger ?

Old 01-12-2010, 12:54 PM

I've had mine for about 14 years. I wanted it because I made most of my "work" clothes at that time and wanted a professional finished look. While I have not used it much lately, I have made seasonal napkins which I like to use at dinners. One of the first quilt classes that I took was a Bow-Tie Serger quilt class (and the project is even finished!). I feel it has paid for itself.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:01 PM

I have a Huskylock and love it. It's great for hemming overlong sweatshirts, sewing purses,etc. I also saw a show recently where Eleanor Burns stitched her strips with a serger. She also pressed them with a "press", not an iron!
Old 01-12-2010, 02:04 PM

I'm on my second one, bought first one about 25-30 years ago OMG used it all the time when kids were growing up. Now I use it on flannel quilts (don't know if I should or not, but I do)
I also like to go around the outside of all my quilts with it - it makes it easier -for me- to put the binding on. :lol:
Old 01-12-2010, 02:04 PM

I have an older Bernina 334 that is great - had never used one (actually had never even seen one!) when I bought it over 20 yrs. ago, and price then was $1000. Now it is known as a classic, is still great, and now on Ebay sells for a little over $300 usually. It is known for its great and easy rolled hem!

About 2 years ago, I bought an Imagine Wave, and I love it! Actually any Imagine serger by Babylock is simply wonderful!Threading upper and lower loopers is by jet-air threading, and there is no (I mean NO) tension problem with the Imagine. Years ago, I first tried the jet-air threading with an Eclipse and bought it used and had no problems with the jet-air with that one either!!

I also bought an Evolve, but sold it on Ebay to get the Imagine, for I found I did not need 8 spools of thread and did not like changing from the coverstitch to the serger stitch.

Since I just began quilting, I don't use either serger for quilting, but it is great to be able to finish my seams in clothes and doll clothes and to cut off pants and serge the edge before using the blindstitch to hem them on my sewing machine!! A serger makes my seams in jackets and clothes look more professional!

Good luck! Lulie
Old 01-12-2010, 02:51 PM

I have a patient who had two. She gave me one.

I haven't used it yet, though I would love to have a few patterns to try it.

Does anyone know where I might buy a book of patterns for sergers?
Old 01-12-2010, 02:54 PM

I have a Bernina serger, which cost over $800.00. I used it often for clothes, curtains, making ruffles, placemats, etc. But since my main sewing is quilting, it is used rarely. If I did not have one already, I feel I could get along without it. A cheaper model may be just what you need. Good luck in your decision.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:00 PM

About 20 years ago, I got a Simplicity Serger for about $500 from the fabric store I worked at. When it's working properly, I love it, especially for large things like curtains and such. If I break a thread or have to change colors, I can never seem to get it rethreaded right. I get frustrated and pack it away. It's gotten very little use in the 20 years I've owned it. I would not get another unless I could afford the self threading kind.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:00 PM

I've been thinking about getting one for quite a while now, but don't really need it. I have 2 small grandkids that I could sew for, so maybe need to get serious about getting one. Thanks for all your info. Lindalou
Old 01-12-2010, 05:56 PM

quick tip- I tie the new color to the one and pull the thread through then you only have to thread the needle.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by laurilli
quick tip- I tie the new color to the one and pull the thread through then you only have to thread the needle.
I have a Baby Lock (about 15 years old) and that how I was
taught to thread it. I used to make doll clothes with lots of
ruffles and I used the serger for that. Made a bunch of
ruffles in no time. I don't make doll clothes any longer, just
use it for finishing edges on clothing. Haven't used it for
quilting but have been told its good for finishing the edges on
flannel when you're using it for backing.

Catlady