Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you have a serger ? >

Do you have a serger ?

Do you have a serger ?

Old 01-13-2010, 04:38 PM

I agree with all of the above. I think that if you have the money, it is nice to have a serger. You never know when you might need it, or just want to play around with it to see what you can do with it. I don't use mine all the time, but it comes in handy when I do need it.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:55 PM

hi deb i have one that i brought from tv shopping show oh many moons ago, it use,s 4 threads cones ,i've nerver used it yet ,1 thread came undone and even with direction book i still can't thread it right to use it, maybe one day when i get the nevre i'll give it another try :-D ,deb if you're looking to buy one don't spent to much on one ,my i paid under $175 for it
Old 01-13-2010, 06:09 PM

I've had my Babylok for more than 10 years and couldn't do without it. Don't do quilting projects on it but lots of sewing - I design and make costumes for theatre productions and it's great. :-D
Old 01-13-2010, 06:30 PM

I guess the bottom line is what type of sewing you do the most of & if you'll use it enough. If you can get an inexpensive one, I'd say BUY it! They're great to have!
Old 01-13-2010, 09:06 PM

I love the surger. Mine is about 20 years old and still purrs away. I use it a lot.... I surge all FQ's before I pre wash then so they do don't fray. I do not cut any off just finish the edge. And make napkins with the rolled edge. I would not every buy an off brand or get at any place they do not have in house service , Like Hancocks, or JoAnns and WalMart.
I wouldn't want to have to send it out to get it checked out or fixed.... I am looking so forward to the 5 thread for my next one. I want to be able to do the cover stitch for crafts and fleece etc. I would give up fabric if I didn't have one and I LOVE fabric.... Tee Hee. I have a White which was owned by Viking at the time I got mine. I will be getting the new Husky Lock next. 5 thread. I think if you get a good one you will use it when you see how and what all you can do with it, and yes I have pieced on mine tooooo. Like camp blankets etc. Again I love a serger.... Awsome to finish aprons. I do a 3 thread serge and then it rolls to make a perfect hem. Do you have a friend you can try before you get one....
Old 01-13-2010, 09:11 PM

I have a Babylock Serger, wonderful for fleece hats, baby blankets, flannel serged together, kids love to drag them around, easy to put together. I can't see quilting on one.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:57 PM

Lisa,
I love the Huskylock's I have 4 Viking sewing machines too.... 3 can do emb. I am trying to figre out how to get the new 5 thread so I have the cover st too. You do not have to go to the top of the line now with the new ones that just came out also has the cover st.... I always wait to get the top of the line as the machines I have some are over 20 years old as my oldie but goodie surger is.... The first surger was A cheeeeep Singer and it was always out of time... I sold it cheeeep to my sis n lawfor all she wanted was to finish edges.... Havent ever had a problem with the White which was sold by Viking 20 years ago and I couldnt aford the Viking at the time cause I wanted the new machine... but it still works just fine and I have used it miles and miles of surging.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:58 PM

on my 3rd serger---this one is a Brother and is easier to thread---made my first Log Cabin quilt with it and not a bit sorry that I did ---don't use it for quilting so much any more but still use it and wouldn't like to be with out it---use it when I shorten jeans
Old 01-14-2010, 03:09 PM

Hi Odessaquilts,

let me know which make and model of serger you have and I will try to help you find a copy of the manual online.

You are right, the stitches shouldn't be loose or fluffy. They should be flat and neat.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:39 PM

I have a Janome Mylock 644 and I like it. It was only like $400 at the time I bought it a few years ago. Worth it to me.