Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you have a serger ? >

Do you have a serger ?

Do you have a serger ?

Old 01-15-2010, 07:10 AM

took a class at the extention office and the main thing I got out of it was do not be afraid of adjusting the tensions---that is what makes a serger work---make some samples and write down the settings---besides it's fun to see what it will do---different color in each tension guide makes it easier to figure out what it is doing---have just run off a long length of serger tread combinations ---no fabric---and couched them onto a item---really neat
Old 01-15-2010, 09:42 AM

I do have a serger and love it.
I have only used it one time on a small quilt. I serged around the outside edges before putting it on the quilting frame, and it stayed square all the time, left clean edges. I will try it on my next quilt.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:29 PM

I have one, I've hardly used it in several years. It's been so long that all I can tell you is that it's a Babylock, but not self-threading. I would have to take a class all over again to relearn how to use it to its fullest potential. But after reading everyone's replies (the ones that USE theirs, lol) I'm thinking of dragging it out of its hiding place.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:38 PM

Well after lots of research I found one at Allbrands.com for $249.00 & the same one on Nancy Notions. My LQS will sell me a Babylock same as these but it is a floor model. She dropped the price to $359.00 from $399.00. It will have full warranty as well as free sewing lessons. So now here's what I have to decide, do I pay more & get all the free sewing lessons on it , a free year of sewing club & full warranty. If something goes wrong I return to them instead of having to mail back to Allbrands.com or Nancy Notions. What do you guys think?
Old 01-15-2010, 08:15 PM

The local support is so worth it. If you have a question, you can just pop in.
Also, I try to support my local business.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Icandothat
The local support is so worth it. If you have a question, you can just pop in.
Also, I try to support my local business.
My thoughts exactly. The lessons are so worth it.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:12 AM

I definitely agree on the local shop--both for your benefit and the benefit of local businesses. You want to be able to get your questions answered in person and to make a connection with those folks. The lessons will help you to take the fullest advantage of your new machine. Have fun!
Old 01-16-2010, 06:08 AM

I have a Bernette (made for Bernina). I bought this serger around 1986 and it is still doing great. I use it almost every week depending on what I am sewing on. The only thing I have against one this old is that as I get older and the rheumatoid arthritis it is hard for me to thread. I just get my hubby to help. I have looked at new sergers and they are wonderful with all the new things that you can do with them!! But at my age my old one will do just find. Good luck in you decision. I know you will enjoy it. Glenda in Texas
Old 01-18-2010, 06:35 AM

Sewing with Nancy has a nice serger quilting book. I have a Singer serger. Not the real fancy one. I need to uncover it and use it again. buy a cheapier one like some have mentioned. They basically do the same thing.
Or purchase a used one. Good luck.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:54 AM

:thumbup: I am a Bernina dealer and I just love mine! You do not need a high priced one just make sure where you purchse it they can service it for you and can give you some guidance.