Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you have a serger ? >

Do you have a serger ?

Do you have a serger ?

Old 01-12-2010, 07:01 AM

I have a White that I bought several years ago for under $300 and I love it...used it alot this Christmas for pillowcases and it works great for my cross stitch fabric edges. I also did not invest alot of money the first time but would not be without one again and this one does all I need it to do.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:12 AM

I have any old Singer, probably close to 20 yrs old.
I do use it for quilting in so many different ways. One is when finishing the edge of a baby quilt. Holds up so much better with all those washings. I use it for clothing of course but my favorite way of using my serger is to quilt as you go.
Simplest way to explain that is if you layer 5 inch strips (whatever length you want) of the backing strip, batting and top, sew all three together up one of the long edges. Now layer the next three strips in this manner. On the unsewn long edge place the backing strip right sides together. On the top layer place the top strips rightfacing each other with the batting on top. Both long edges should match up. Sew down the unsewn long edge. Fold out the second strip row you just added to the first section, press. And repeat. When you have 5 or 6 long strips sewn together sew the last long unfinished edge together. Only the top and bottom edge will be unfinished. This is when you can add binding and finish it up. Hope this was clear, I'm usually better at showing the pieces as we go along.
I love using my serger and to be honest it's my oldest machine. All the others I've upgraded over the years for this reason or that. Borrow a friends or rent one and you will be hooked.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:40 AM

I have my second serger and wonder how I ever did without one. I enjoyed the first one except the threading was a bear and thread breakage meant unthreading the whole thing and rethreading in the order the directions prescribed.

Now I have a Babylock Imagine and love-love-love it. If a thread breaks I only have to rethread that one!
Old 01-12-2010, 07:44 AM

Debra, I have one and don't use it very much, I wouldn't go over $500 for one until you see how you like it and see how much you will use it. They are more for finish work but you can make a quilt on it from start to finish. Cookie
Old 01-12-2010, 08:13 AM

I love my serger. It's a Babylock Evolve; extremely easy to thread. I use mine a lot. The Sew & Vac near me frequently has free serger classes and they are going to have serger project classes this year. Sometimes I use it instead of my sewing machine. The only drawback is that this serger is expensive, about $2,000. I got a good deal because I traded in my Husqvarna Viking Serger.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:27 AM

I was given an inexpensive serger by my hubby years ago when my grandkids were little. I would make them each 7 pairs of knit pj's for winter and 7 for summer..I have 11 grandchildren so you can imagine how much other stuff I ever got done. It was wonderful using the serger then, even for the ribbing on the neck, sleeves and ankles. I have not used it in a few years now since they are all grown up and want store bought pjs. My FIL used to have me "repair" his favorite bright orange bath towel as it fell apart. I know it sounds silly but he lived with us for 4 years with Alzheimers and he would watch me sew his towel with a smile on his face. Sometimes I think he would rip the edges just so he could sit and watch me sew for company.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:30 AM

I just bought a serger to replace one I had for about twenty years. So far I have only made pillow cases with it and hemmed my husband's psnts. Recently I ran across an Eleanor Burns Video where she made a Dresden plate quilt. The seams were done with a serger.
http://quiltinaday.com/theater/misc/misc-dresden.html
Old 01-12-2010, 09:49 AM

I have a Babylock serger, and absolutely love it. I have had it for about 5 years. The thing I really love about it is that it is sel-threading, both the loopers and the needles. Lots of other features, too. But when buying, I wanted the self-threading model. Also is self-adjusting for the tension. Look at Babylock if you are seriously considering getting a serger.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:57 AM

I own a Bernina and absolutely love it. It's over 15 years old now and is so easy to use. No problems.

I use mine all the time for whatever works. Last night, my
Granddaughter, Daughter and I did the thrift store adventure. We had a great time. I found a box of fat quarters - 20 in all - for $5. Beautiful fabric and will use it to make happy quilts. Coming from the thrift store, the first thing I did was serge the edges and throw it all in the wash. Had fun with it.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:58 AM

I have always wanted a serger so I could explore the different things it can do that a sewing machine can't for sewing clothes and accessories. I just bought a Brother 1034D at Walmart online for $199. The shipping to my home was $0.97. It comes with 2 good DVD's and tweezers, different feet, etc. It has good reviews for such an inexpensive machine. It's easy to thread, has differential feed, you don't have to change the plate to do a rolled hem, and it has a free arm. I'm excited to explore the possibilities.