Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you have a serger ? >

Do you have a serger ?

Do you have a serger ?

Old 01-11-2010, 09:04 AM

I am selling mine for $180!(free shipping)

Hardly used, maybe a handful of times. Comes with everything. Thread accessories, owners manual, electronic foot control, screw drivers specific for the machine.

PM me if you are interested :)
Old 01-11-2010, 09:11 AM

I have a serger. It's great for clothing, but I, like others here, won't use it for quilting.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:16 AM

I have a BabyLock Evolve and I absolutely love it. I love the jet-threading loopers and the self-adjusting tension. It is so much less frustrating with those 2 features than the other basic serger I owned before. I have a daughter who is vertically challenged (read "less than 5 feet tall") so I use the cover stitch a lot for shortening sleeves on T-shirts and hems on everything from skirts to pj pants and the rolled hem for prom dresses, etc. Now that my friends know I have this machine I get requests from them to shorten stuff all the time. Just slipcovered my sofa and used the serger on most of the seams because I feel like it makes a stronger seam. But this model is very pricey so you have to weigh the price against how much you'll use it.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:24 AM

I love my serger!!!
Old 01-11-2010, 10:31 AM

I have a great serger, my aunt gave it to me many years ago, when she bought it, it was top of the line.. I love it. I use it to piece together my quilts blocks.. Works great.. I use my regular sewing machine to do the quilting and sewing the rows together.. I could see how it would be hard to use on smaller pieces of fabric. I have a 1/4" seam on it and it trims off the execess..
Old 01-11-2010, 10:53 AM
Power Poster

I bought my babylock in the eighties and it just keeps making perfect stitches and runs like a top. I really don't know how I could sew certain things with out it.

I suppose you should think how much you would use it before making such a large investment.
Here is a topper I made with mine last year in a class...

Christmas topper
[ATTACH=CONFIG]41068[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-41068.jpe  
Old 01-11-2010, 12:40 PM

My dealer is a Babylock dealer & I have seen all the Babylock models. Their newest is $3000.00. That nearly blew my mind. I really want a Babylock but will have think real long & hard about it. Thanks for everyone's in put.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:15 PM
Power Poster

I gave mine away.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by missbehavinnow
I have a great serger, my aunt gave it to me many years ago, when she bought it, it was top of the line.. I love it. I use it to piece together my quilts blocks.. Works great.. I use my regular sewing machine to do the quilting and sewing the rows together.. I could see how it would be hard to use on smaller pieces of fabric. I have a 1/4" seam on it and it trims off the execess..
I have one. But I never use it. I would love to learn to quilt on it. I have tried to get some books from the library on using a serger to quilt but haven't had much luck. I would love to hear more about how you use your serger to quilt.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:38 PM

I have a Bernina 4-thread that was expensive when it was purchased nearly 20 years ago and had a Bernina 3-thread before that. I have used it extensively to make clothes. I use it less now because with the humidity over here, keeping the tension correct is sometimes difficult, but I wouldn't be without one.