Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you have a serger ? >

Do you have a serger ?

Do you have a serger ?

Old 01-10-2010, 09:03 PM
Power Poster

I use mine when I make clothes or purses etc, not for quilting.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:37 AM

i bought a janome for 299.00. Was always running to the neighbors to fix something for the kids. Don`t use it often but its there when I need it and din`t invest a fortune. Also grat for making pillow cases for the kids with THomas and cars fabric.
Gale
Old 01-11-2010, 04:27 AM

I'm on my second one, wore one out making clothes for my 4 kids and 5 DGKs. Not to mention Halloween costumes for all of them and neices and nephews. I don't use it much for clothing anymore but I love to use it to serge the cut edges of fabric befor I throw them in the wash. It really cuts down on the wrinkling because ravels don't get twisted around the fabric.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:39 AM

I have had my serger for years . .. I really love it when making clothes. It really makes them have a nice finish. I would highly recommend one . . . .
Old 01-11-2010, 05:21 AM
Power Poster

I have a Janome and love it, but I do not use it for quilting projects, more for other types of sewing makes great finished edges for small items like potholders, placemats, tablecloths, etc. (and my dh is not very tall so it works great when it comes to shortening pants etc. no raw edges)
Old 01-11-2010, 05:58 AM

If you use a serger for quilting, then where the seams cross will sometimes break the quilting needles or can cause a timing issue on the machine. I won't quilt a quilt put together on a serger. The crossed seams make a very hard lump. Just FYI.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:12 AM

I have a Pfaff serger and I won't be without it. I used it a lot when I worked at the Bridal shop but not so much with quilting. I do use it when i prewash fabrics to prevent raveling on the cut edges.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:28 AM

I have a Babylock Evolve Wave.
It is fanstastic!
I have owned other sergers, but hated threading all of the loopers and remember where the thread had to go.
The Babylock Evolve and other of their models have a patented air threading system where the threading of the loopers are authomatic, A whoosh of air and it is done.
They have a brand new model, Evolution, that just came out, so the Evolve and other models are less now.
Try this one out at your local dealer. You will love it.
I am taking Margaret Tully's class at my dealer in TX in Feb.
If you cannot take her class, I would recommend investing in her DVD.
Have fun!
Diana in TX
Old 01-11-2010, 08:53 AM

I have had a serger for many, many years I started out with a 3 thread that was all they had when I bought my first serger. I upgraded about 8 years ago to a 4 thread serger. I love the serger it finished edges beautifully and with a professional look. I use it for curtains, drapes, clothing and heming. I do not use it for quilting. I could not be without one. I once watched a sewing with Nancy show many years ago and she showed how to thread the easy was, tie the new thread to the one already threaded in the machine after all threads are tied carfully and slowly pull until the new thread comes all the was through except the sewing needle the thread will not pull through the needle but will until just before the needle. It is so much easier to thread this way.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:04 AM

I forgot to mention that the Evolve and other BL model sergers are 8 thread machines that really make decorative edges very professional looking, of course you can also use 3 or 4 threading if you like.
Good hunting on your new serger.
D in TX