Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Links and Resources
  • ** If you own a "Serger" please respond  ** >
  • ** If you own a "Serger" please respond **

• ** If you own a "Serger" please respond **

Old 08-21-2011, 04:17 PM

I have an older Bernette - can't remember what I paid for it. I went to classes to learn how to use it more. I made kids knit clothes, rolled hem on napkins, and on "capes" for my daug's wedding party. Lots of things. But now I quilt more than do those types of things, but I still use it for some mending and such. Sounds like lots of posters like the Babyloc.
    Old 08-21-2011, 04:34 PM

I have a B/L Imagine that I bought in 2000 on sale for $1099 plus got the 6 feet for free.
    I love it. I had my mom's Bernette machine before that and didn't know how to thread it.....hardly used it. Gave it to my oldest daughter when I bought the B/L......I use it for everything possible.
    I have also found out that you DO NOT use canned air to clean them.
    I learned the dust, etc. just collects in corners and grooves.
    Almost ruined my machine by using it to clean it instead of the regular way.
    Old 08-21-2011, 04:38 PM

I owned an old White, and a Brother. Hated them both, spent a ton of time threading and the stitch was never right. Bought a Viking 905 and absolutely loved it. So much so I bought the Viking 936. Didn't like the 936 as much, so sold it and kept the 905. Never had a problem, and bought it used from someone who also had used it a ton. Just a good solid basic machine with a nice stitch.
    Old 08-21-2011, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by dsews2
    I have a B/L Imagine that I bought in 2000 on sale for $1099 plus got the 6 feet for free.
    I love it. I had my mom's Bernette machine before that and didn't know how to thread it.....hardly used it. Gave it to my oldest daughter when I bought the B/L......I use it for everything possible.
    I have also found out that you DO NOT use canned air to clean them.
    I learned the dust, etc. just collects in corners and grooves.
    Almost ruined my machine by using it to clean it instead of the regular way.
    This is so true. I bought a mini attachment set for my vacuum to clean my sewing machine and serger. It works great and keeps them nice and clean.
    Old 08-21-2011, 05:50 PM

LOVE! LOVE! LOVE ! My BABYLOCK IMAGINE! I wanted to throw the previous serger out the window because threading it would bring me to tears! My Babylock is SUPER SIMPLE to thread and serge with.
    Old 08-21-2011, 06:23 PM

I have a Bernina that my sister in law bought used. It's fiddley but I do like it and I've become accustomed to its fiddliness.
    Old 08-21-2011, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by UglyCook
    Babylock. Look for a used Imagine if you want an awesome one for not too much $$.

Super easy to thread, mine works perfectly every time. I can change out one thread without rethreading all.
    I love my Imagine Babylock and had a different one before. I loveit loveitlove it!!!
    Old 08-21-2011, 08:13 PM

I bought the Janome 1100D and love it. It's very study and smooth, with beautiful stitches. I also have a Coverpro1000. I spent a lot of time looking and comparing options. I'm happy with my choice. Unfortunately, I may have to sell them in the near future as I'm moving to a MUCH smaller house, but the 1100D is a great machine and you wouldn't go wrong to buy the 1200 either. I tried the Babylock and it was flimsy (in my opinion). It jumped all over the place. I tried the Elnas which were very similar but cost more. I did like the Jukis but wanted two machines as that's really ideal. I tried Bernina and Singer, Viking (have to send it far and a long time if you need service), and felt that the Janomi was the cream of the crop for beautiful stitches and a solid machine. My 1100D has a tilt needle which makes it easy to thread. The self-threading Bablylocks cost about double the price and weren't as solid a machine. Good luck with whatever you purchase!
    To thread it I usually just pull the threads through. You really can do this most of the time and other times it's easy to thread!!
    Old 08-21-2011, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by UglyCook
    Babylock. Look for a used Imagine if you want an awesome one for not too much $$.

Super easy to thread, mine works perfectly every time. I can change out one thread without rethreading all.
    That's what I have - love it!
    Old 08-21-2011, 08:46 PM

I have a babylock imagine. It is self threading and a very easy machine to operate. I really don't use it on quilts. Baby lock's have a very good reputation. I personally haven't had any problems at all. Good luck with your search. I found my machine used and the lady had only used it once or twice. :):)