Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Links and Resources
  • ** If you own a "Serger" please respond  ** >
  • ** If you own a "Serger" please respond **

• ** If you own a "Serger" please respond **

Old 08-21-2011, 11:16 AM

I have 2 a Juki industrial 644(15years old) and a Elna (3years) cover stitch only. Cover stitch does tee shirts and my grandkids pjs. Juki does so much. Only serviced 1 time. I keep it setup next to main machine so I can do quick things. Also I serge my quilt before I bind them. They bind so much easier and neatly.

I would ask what you want to do with the machine? Don't buy a Cadillac if you need a pickup. Also you need help learning the machine. What local shop sells a brand you could live with?
    Old 08-21-2011, 12:00 PM

My serger was bought from Walmart for descent price and I have enjoyed it very much.
    Old 08-21-2011, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by emmy
    I have had the TOL Viking, White and Bernina. I spent so much time changing from rolled hem, to 4 thread, and so forth, I gave up. I saved ( a long time) and purchased the Babylock. It is a joy to use and wished I purchased it from the beginning. Not only is it easy to switch between the various stitches, but it sews the stitch perfectly. I never have to make any adjustments for stitch quality. Bring some scraps and go to dealers and try various brands.
    I had a basic Janome (paid around $550 a couple of years ago)... liked it until the thread would break. Then it took almost a half hour to re-thread.... got to where I didn't want to use it anymore.

Finally traded it in for a Babylock and absolutely LOVE it!!! It's not cheap (almost $1800) but worth every penny. It's the Enlighten and has auto-threading. I now enjoy using it, changing stitches, changing threads. It's very easy to use. If this is within your budget, it's well worth the pricetag. It doesn't do cover stitch or change stitch but pretty much everything else I need. B/L do carry cheaper models too but can't vouch for them although I think B/L makes a great sewing machine too !!!
    Old 08-21-2011, 02:31 PM

How much does a new Babylock cost?
    Old 08-21-2011, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by sniktasemaj
    How much does a new Babylock cost?
    My neighbor bought hers last year for around $800. Mine is the Enlighten and I paid around $1800. It also does the Wave Stitch which is pretty cool. These are both self-threaders which (in my mind) is the ONLY way to go on sergers.
    Old 08-21-2011, 03:08 PM

I have a Juki MO634DE serger. I bought it used for 85.00. I really like it even if it is a bear to thread. I don't know why but I can't find a book for it, so I am making one of my own. Someday I will take it to a sewing machine shop to see if they can tell me all the things it can do. Juki is a good quality machine.
    Old 08-21-2011, 03:15 PM

I am fortunate to live about 60 miles north of Nancy's Notions at Beaver Dam, WI. I purchased an Babylock Imagine Wave floor demonstrator for half price at $900. At the regular price of $1800, I would not have sat down to try it out. It is worth every penny. So far it works perfectly every time.
    Old 08-21-2011, 04:05 PM

Babylock for sure. I love mine and have been using it for 9 years, not one single problem and I use it all the time.
    Old 08-21-2011, 04:08 PM

That would be dangerous for me to live that close to Nancy's Notions! When her catalogs arrive in the mail I call them my wishing book! LOL
    Old 08-21-2011, 04:11 PM

I did not look around, but stuck by the Vikings. Got a 936, which is top of the line. Love it, but if I was to buy another, I would do what you are doing and ask around. hhmmmm, Imay check out those Babylocks.