Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014 >

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Grand Illusion - Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt 2014

Old 12-02-2014, 07:58 AM

Well we got back last night from our Thanksgiving trip so I hope to do some cutting/sewing today after I pick up my machine. I got a call last night that the repairman is finished with its tuneup. I hope it will sew much better than it had been. All my triangles were getting eaten by the plate even with chain piecing, new needle, and small hole plate. GRRRR. The feed dogs were set too low the last time I had it serviced along with other issues from then as well. Sorry if this sounds like a whine. LOL At least not whining about the little pieces, etc. in the quilt.

Can't wait to get going on the mystery. So what am I waiting for.....
Old 12-02-2014, 08:06 AM

mats MUST dry flat....absolutely flat and not on any kind of slant (forget the driveway)
Old 12-02-2014, 08:15 AM
Power Poster

I saw the "soak the mat" idea on Pinterest and promptly took all my mats to the bathtub to try it. I have to say, like so many 'remedies' on Pinterest, it didn't work at all. The mats were as cut as they started. Whatever those mats are made of, they don't seem to absorb water at all, so 'hydrating' is not possible. Nice idea tho. Wish it worked.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:19 AM

I hadn't gotten around to trying it, so thanks for trying it first.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by whitepine View Post
Sewbizgirl, flip the map!! What a good idea. My mind isn't in a rut, it's a trench. Another idea that a person on this site mentioned was: "If you have a self healing cutting mat it needs to be re hydrated to stay self healing. When the moisture is gone the mat dries out and will have cut marks and dull your blade. Soak the mat in room temp water for about and hour, let dry. That's all you have to. The mat will be soft and be like new again."
Never heard of soaking the mat, I have been thinking of replacing my huge one due to loads of use, but may try this tip first, thanks for sharing.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:46 PM

From Sew Fantastic blog:

(This info is directly from an olfa dealer).

Directions :: Fill your bathtub with room temperature water (not hot, not warm, and not cold) In the water add 1/4 cup of white vinegar and a squirt of dove dish soap for a good lather. Use a mushroom brush (soft bristle brush) and scrub the mat gently getting a good lather with the soap. Then rinse your self healing mat with cool water getting all residue off the mat. You can dry it with a cotton towel, or air dry. It does not matter how you choose to dry it. (Do not dry it in direct sunlight or it could damage the mat).

The reason for this method is the materials that make your self healing mat absorb the water and make the mat supple again. Not only does this make your mat last longer, but it keeps your blades from dulling so quickly because you are cutting into a softer surface. Makes sense right?

If your mat won't fit in your bathtub, use a child's wading pool: inside not outside. After soaking, dry both thoroughly, put the mat back in the pool and let it finish drying on a flat surface inside your home.

I've also read that you should soak your mat every four-six months. So if you've had your mat for years, it might take more than one soak to do any good.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:01 PM

I have really (REALLY) enjoyed seeing everyones blocks!

I need to get in gear and cut/ sew some before too long. Works, kids activities and us being out of town for my sons football team put a kink in things....
Old 12-02-2014, 02:01 PM

Here is Block #1. Only test block made so far
[ATTACH=CONFIG]500956[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails grand-illusion-block-1.jpg  
Old 12-02-2014, 02:33 PM

AlvaStitcher, it looks great.....love your fabrics (especially the pink)!
Old 12-02-2014, 04:04 PM

Wow, I am so jealous!!! Everyone has completed so much and it is all looking good. I have too many issues this week to do anything on the MQ. So anxious and dying to begin, then the phone rings and 1 friend wants luggage tags made for her Travel Business, another wants hanging towels for her daughter. Have got to lock myself in my sewing room! At least I can have both embroidery machines going at the same time!!! Love all the pictures!