Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Getting ready to go get my Mamogram, what about you?! >

Getting ready to go get my Mamogram, what about you?!

Getting ready to go get my Mamogram, what about you?!

Old 10-26-2011, 08:10 AM

ladies please don't skip your mamograms. Mine were normal every year for 10 years.I hade a breast exam by my obgyn.
She told me everything looks fine but go get your mamogram.They found a tumor very deep in my brest not I or my doctor felt. Long story short i had stage 3 breast cancer
After chemo therapy and radation and plenty of help from friends and family im fine. My doctor told had a skiped that years mamogram I would have been terminal.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by dd
So much controversy about whether you should get it every year or every other year. With our insurance, I can't afford it this year. Know any place doing it for free? I always hear about it after the fact.
Here is a website from the state: http://fha.maryland.gov/cancer/bccp_home.cfm
it looks like they will give assistance if you qualify

I already had mine for this year.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:22 AM

hey dd is there a free clinic around where you live? them will usually help with the cost ..
Old 10-26-2011, 09:24 AM

the same thing happened to me 12 years ago I had a check up 9mamo every year & suddenly there was this lump thank God I always went because it was just 1st stage really close to 2nd stage but like you I came out of if ok.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:34 AM

Just had mine on the 24th!
Old 10-26-2011, 09:42 AM
Power Poster

I switched to the imaging mammogram. I like it much better and I don't dread having to go.

The MRI mammogram is what I mean.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by dd
So much controversy about whether you should get it every year or every other year. With our insurance, I can't afford it this year. Know any place doing it for free? I always hear about it after the fact.
I had mine in July. Also had a Biopsy on lymph nodes under left arm ALL NORMAL there, done in Sept. Dr. was concerned because hosp. sent notice for a retake on the mamo.
I am under Medicare and they pay for one a year. Have you checked the local health clinic in your area? That might be a place to check.
I don't know about mamo's but I know my late DBIL did go to the local health clinic where he lived and got the Shingles shot for $25.00. It normally runs around $260 from what I understand. I have had the shingles and Drs. have said they don't think it would be to my benefit to have the shot. I certainly don't want even another light case of those bad stinkers, so if you get a light case with the shot, like some do with flu shots, I am steering away from the shingles shot.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:12 AM

I go every year as my birthday present to myself. Not cause I like to get squished, but because it's for my health. A "spot" was discovered 2 years ago, but all is well now.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:13 AM

Please everyone, get your mamograms regularly. I have had breast cancer twice and both times it was found by a mamogram. I am prooof that a mamogram can save your life. 4 1/2 year survivor !!!!
Old 10-26-2011, 12:26 PM

Because of a three generational breast cancer history in my family I not only have to get a mammogram but also an MRI of my breasts done every year. I don't tell insurance about my family history because I don't want it in my medical record. My Dr orders it for "diagnostic reasons" and if insurance won't pay for it we do. It isn't worth the risk. I have gone as far as seriously considering having a double mastectomy just to reduce the risk. Have probably had a dozen biopsies over the years and thankfully they have always been negative. Mother has had two bouts with breast cancer and my younger sister one. Mothers Aunt died of breast cancer when I was in my teens. Ann in TN