Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Christmas Gifts That Make You Go...Hmmmmmm >

Christmas Gifts That Make You Go...Hmmmmmm

Christmas Gifts That Make You Go...Hmmmmmm

Old 12-15-2011, 10:09 PM

I sent my sister a tub of crushed potato chips, all wrapped of course. I did enclose another gift for her but the chips won for originality., oh and she didn't guess what was in it when she tried to shake it. LOl
Old 12-15-2011, 10:23 PM

For a wedding present my husband's grandmother gave us twin sheets. My MIL was sure she made a mistake except there were 2 of them. They came in handy later when I rented a 2 bedroom apartment and the 2nd bedroom had twin beds. It was 7 years before we decided to have kids.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:06 PM

When I was younger, my DM would give me clothes for Christmas. I would then turn around and give them to my sister, just her size.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:07 AM

My DH gave me an 18 foot extension ladder and a chain saw one year. Just what I really needed - I suffer from a bit of vertigo !
Old 12-16-2011, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by Terryl View Post
I got a cigarette case from a co-worker for Christmas last year, I DON'T smoke!!!!! When she asked me how I liked it, I simply replied "I don't smoke", she told me to use it for a wallet?????
I have seen those cases and it is supposed to be very 'in' to use them as a wallet....IMHO why would a non~smoker ever want to carry a cigarette case........
Old 12-16-2011, 04:25 AM

Worst-best, ex boyfriend said my Christmas gift was something I really could use. Two snow tires.( for you young'uns, this was before-all-weather tires). I was really upset, but come next winter, the tires were still around, not the BF.
Friend gave me a clothing steamer, leaky, missing parts, from 2nd hand store, to use for pressing quilts.?????
Old 12-16-2011, 05:39 AM

I was regifted by my DIL a tool bag w/ tools. I saw it in her garage when she was using it. LOL
I stopped making her and GD anything as they go into her garage sale following summer. I have bought back may items for younger gd. Incredible!
The thing that hurt the worst was I cross stitched a baby blanket with the Pooh alpha. She never used it just threw it into sale.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:38 AM

Canada Kate writes:One year my mother gave me jewlery made out of dried fish bones
One summer while fishing in Alaska, a friend made me a pair of earrings out of the ear drums from my huge halibut. They are white and very pretty. When someone remarks on them, I just reply that they are the ear drums from one of my halibuts. Talk about getting some weird looks!!
Old 12-16-2011, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
I got a microwave for a wedding anniversary gift years ago and was so happy! I had wanted one for so long. That same week my SIL got a freezer, washer and dryer for her birthday and was so mad she didn't speak to her husband for a week. Different strokes for different folks. She wanted something personal like lingerie or jewelry.
One year a friend of mine really, really, really wanted a dishwasher and everyone knew it. Her husband and daughter went together and got her a clothes dryer. After all the tears dried, they got her the dishwasher and let her keep the clothes dryer. Are some people just plain deaf?
Old 12-16-2011, 10:15 AM

Our son and DIL re-gifted our family of 8 a 2 cup orange juicer, that they got as a wedding present, for Christmas. I wouldn't have cared a bit, except that she had to tell me (before we knew what it was) all about how she researched forever to find just the right one and that it wasn't cheap, etc...when I looked up the make and model the product reviews were terrible and it cost all of $15. It is one thing to re-gift (which I am all for) but another thing for it to be totally inappropriate and then make up lies about it.

When we told them his 14 year old brother was having (another) unexpected open heart surgery they sent him a gift that was meant for a 4 year old. Mike was so sad, as they had built it up to be this really fantastic gift. Based on what had happened with the re-gifted juicer I checked on line and found that it was from the discontinued items on our 14 yo sons favorite web site and cost all of $5. It was totally inappropriate for a 14 year old.

They have always given us a list of gifts they wanted and none of them are ever under $100. (It sounds so petty, doesn't it?)

I suppose it shouldn't hurt, but they sent us pictures of the new dishwasher they installed at her parents house for Christmas the same year as we got the juicer.

I feel compelled to state that I am not in the least materialistic, and I would like to be the worlds best MIL, but this young woman makes it really hard. I don't want expensive gifts, but I could really do without the obvious disrespect.

Vent over! MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!!! <3