Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Christmas Gifts That Make You Go...Hmmmmmm >

Christmas Gifts That Make You Go...Hmmmmmm

Christmas Gifts That Make You Go...Hmmmmmm

Old 12-16-2011, 10:38 AM

reading this thread reminds me of why DH and I have pretty much dropped out of the Family Gift Exchange routine.

I may have mentioned this before, but we used to give home-made jams/jellies as gifts to MIL/FIL. In return we could get the $10 gift box from Wisconsin Cheeseman. DH's brother and SIL would give them a TV. MIL/FIL would give THEM a TV in return.

So to me, that is not "gift-giving" that is "exchange." Can't imagine treating two of my kids that differently.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Canada Kate View Post
In about 1990, my ex-BIL gave my husband a rubber Richard Nixon shower head cover. The water came out of Nixon's mouth. One year my mother gave me jewlery made out of dried fish bones. I thought they were ugly and gross and told her so. Then annually I got at least one piece as a joke gift, until she passed away in 2000. I still have them and should really throw them away...but it makes me laugh now when I see them.

My birthday is close to Christmas and when I was growing up, I had many relatives who used to give me a Christmas gift and say, "We got you a combined birthday/Christmas gift". The single gift was never so awesome that it would have trumped receiving two proper gifts. :-) I recall getting a pair of socks from an aunt one year as a combined gift. Itchy, homemade knitted wool socks. Perfect for an 8 year-old (NOT!).

My birthday is also right before Christmas and most years I got money to buy Christmas gifts. You really get the short end of the stick by having your birthday around Christmas.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:33 AM

the one and only time my husband and I spent Christmas with his parents she bought really nice gifts for her daughters and their husbands and kids and for my husband but she gave me a wallet with the price still on it - she spent a whole dollar on it - I was hurt but didn't say anything but my husband was furious and we never did go there at Christmas again
Old 12-16-2011, 11:33 AM

LOL, My daughter's birthday is Dec 8th, and believe me she never gets shorted on either her birthday or Christmas. She is 35 now, and can still milk more out of a birthday than anyone else I know.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:55 AM

I've enjoyed all your stories ... some funny, some not, but all from the heart.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:07 PM

The most useless gift I've ever received was a regifted coffee grinder that didn't work. You can bet it didn't get regifted again!

Have had a few unusal gifts, but most were used -- like saws, tool boxes, how-to books, etc. because I do the "house work" and like doing it. Hubby gets stuff to help him work on his car in the same spirit. Now days, I just request that we don't get "stuff" because we just don't need it and don't have any place to store anything else. Perhaps I should try regifting. Nah!

Hope your holidays are all warm and wonderful!
Old 12-16-2011, 01:22 PM

2 of my sons were born in December and they always were and still are given a birthday gift and some Christmas gifts.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:52 PM

I have a Dec. birthday & graduated from grade school in Jan. I got a combined birthday, Christmas & graduation gift--a new chest of drawers. I wasn't thrilled at the time, but I can appreciate it now 56 years later. I really needed one.
Another year, I desparately wanted a portable radio--for the beach (we lived a mile from the beach & before we were old enough to work, my crowd lived at the beach during the summer) & to just walk around with. I got a plug-in combination clock, alarm, radio. Maybe it had something to do with the fact I was impossible to get out of bed in the morning.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:56 PM

I don't regift but I do pass long quilt/sewing items that I receive in gift exchanges if I already have the item or have no use for it in my sewing/quilting room, but I've never done it with an attitude of not appreciating the gift.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:40 PM

Early in our marriage my husband gave my a pair of gerbils. Being the animal lover that I am, I didn't complain for a long time, but eventually I let him know that it wasn't the best gift. He does better now, but sometimes he still buys weird gifts for me or family members. He somehow equates "different" with "great." My adult kids get anxious when they find out that Dad did a lot of the shopping. This year he kicked it into gear because I was sick for a while so we will see how it all works out! (We love him anyway! He tries very hard!)