Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2020 June through November Round Robin >

2020 June through November Round Robin

2020 June through November Round Robin

Old 08-27-2020, 07:53 AM

[QUOTE=Barb in Louisiana;8413278]I just want to compliment all you ladies on the knowledge that I am getting from seeing your creativeness with these Round Robins. I thought I was a quilter, but I am once again seeing that I have a lot to learn. Every time a new picture comes up, I am once again in awe. I am so glad I am sharing the journey with you in spirit.[/QUOTE

Thank you Barb - First I pray you are far from the Hurricane. Second - we all wing it well! I may have an idea when seeing the center online - but not until I touch it and audition fabric and patterns do I come up with a solution! The same goes with the Friendship Boomerang swap (which is just starting). I need to touch the fabric and let it speak to me!!
Be safe!
Old 08-27-2020, 08:11 AM

Best wishes to all in storms of whatever sort you may be in!

It's so funny how I think I have ideas until I see the project in person. Have done a complete change from what I thought I was going to do to what I'm almost done doing this time. Even once I get the general idea there are a lot of thoughts and test blocks and rejects. Rebecca knows I like to peek in on her progress and sends me pictures so I start getting ideas ahead of time....

And then I get to see what Mary does to whatever I give her. It's quite the thrill to see the progress. Plus she is so easy going I rather like mailing in the same order in some ways it is certainly easy to remember who to mail to, in other ways I'd like more mixed up just to have different contacts. But each round comes out so differently from each of us that it's a complete surprise what is coming and then what happens next.

Was it the Bee center that was missing/in transit? I'm sorry that one isn't in my group (or at least I don't think it is, I'm still a bit confused).
Old 08-27-2020, 08:51 AM
Power Poster

Thank you, Barb in Louisiana! I hope you didn't get slammed by the storm. My relatives in south LA are all ok, but they all say there is extensive tree damage. The winds were so high!
Old 08-27-2020, 09:51 AM

Well your excitement for the Boomerang swap had me curious so I have decided to join....hope my wrist/thumb behave!!
Old 08-27-2020, 11:05 AM

I appreciate all of your thoughts & concerns. We did good. Our home is a little over to the east side of Louisiana and all we got was wind, threat of tornados and rain. We haven't lost electricity at all. Others have not fared as well. We had a trailer camp on the Gulf, about 6 miles west of Holly Beach in Cameron Parish, and 1 mile from where the Eye of Laura hit. We sold it a month ago. I am anxious to see how it fared. And all our friends beach houses were at risk too. I am so glad that almost everyone evacuated the areas that were most at risk. So far, only 4 confirmed deaths. That's a miracle.
Old 08-27-2020, 02:14 PM

Iceblossom, yes it was the bee center that flew amuck! it is found and all is good again. : )
Old 08-27-2020, 08:51 PM
Power Poster

Welcome Carrie! If you join the three month swap, you’ll have plenty of time to get the blocks made. You won’t have to over-tax your wrist.

Bugaroo, so glad your quilt is found. That is a great quilt and we want to see it finished!

Barb, good to hear you are ok!
Old 08-28-2020, 06:50 AM

Ok, progress shot, dry fit and not yet on the top, corners still oversized to deal with any math flubs. There will be final narrow border of the background so that the leaves float, I think it was designed to be 6.5" with that final edge.

Boy, I really changed my mind on this top once I had it. When it was coming to me I was convinced that I was going to have to set it on point. There would be lots of red and bright blue and pops of yellow. I had it roughly drawn out and just wanted to see if it was going to be "too" big instead of just big.

But then when I got it and saw the little boat in the center, I with my secret messages in fabric could not set a boat to sail forever on troubled water and had to ditch the on point idea. And when I looked closer I saw a narrow inner green border and more traditional fabrics. I liked the points in the 9-patches from Bonnie's round, and I didn't first notice it but then I saw how the blue background made arrow shapes going out at the corners, ended up not being able to incorporate that but I did notice.

Rebecca made a design decision to make her center fan slightly larger than the two on either side and have it go up to and through the seam allowance into the next round. My original design made more use of that, as it is, I was unable to highlight it well but did not cut off her points! I really liked the modern fabrics she used and the calming nature of aqua and peachy tones as opposed to my bright blue and red and yellow... I knew I didn't have enough modern prints, I knew I didn't have enough aqua -- but I had a whole box of green sitting there and I had an idea that could use them and decided the design goal was to be "soft but pointy".

I was concerned at adding another color into this mix. Especially with the red,didn't want it to turn holiday seasonal and deliberately kept out any too-Christmasy prints. I also didn't want it to be too bright. No hidden messages, but I did choose traditional calicos from various eras, there are no spongy textured or novelty (not even green frogs, hurt me to take them out of the mix), or anything too modern.

It's supposed to be a Peaceful, Easy Feeling (when did we get so old...)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IepeD3u2YDw

and not so much a bright, bright sunshiney day -- but that was there too!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrHxhQPOO2c

Attached Thumbnails 100_5861.jpg   100_5848.jpg  

Last edited by Iceblossom; 08-28-2020 at 06:51 AM. Reason: added close up center shot
Old 08-28-2020, 07:25 AM
Power Poster

Ice, love your round! The vine encircling the dresden flowers is perfect! Great round.

Old 08-28-2020, 09:11 AM

Oh Ice, that is beautiful! I never would have thought of leaves/plants. Looks wonderful!