Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Row Robin Quilt Along! Starts March 2nd! >

Row Robin Quilt Along! Starts March 2nd!

Row Robin Quilt Along! Starts March 2nd!

Old 02-27-2015, 08:15 PM

My thought is this could be done in one row vs blocks?
Old 02-28-2015, 08:04 AM

Yea - finished my taxes - waahoooo. Clearing my table off and replacing papers & computer with sewing machine and fabric!! Tested my idea for kite - thank God I have lots of scrap material because it didn't work. So on to the next thought pattern - this will be fun - and mind boggling - and stretching -but hey - that is what it is all about
Old 03-01-2015, 07:17 AM

boy is that a pretty image! I think you could do the first set pretty easily stop at the very top of the trees. do a few rows of sky then you just need a tree sky fabric to cut squares out of and place as you will so your next row is top of trees and sky mixed right? just take that image.. divide it in say three sections right? then you tackle one section a month! tada! lol so you can play with us I know your fast whitepine so we might be miles behind you doing our quilt. but stick with us you might see something you need to try also! that entire quilt top you show is squares and rectangles of different sizes. it makes it interesting and wow so pretty.

I am going to start sewing my strips together to do my sky today. I am also hopeful I can go get one or two more fabrics to pull into play but not sure my energy matches my good ideas lol. I will have the blocks posted to share. I am still contemplating doing one long strip instead of 4 blocks. no one had any visions on that one? then .. do I do it attached to a backing? makes the quilt warmer for sure lol but not sure that bulk is easier to sew through. done enough crazy quilts to know it is thicker for sure!
Old 03-01-2015, 07:46 AM

As much as I really wanna do the landscaping I know that in the RV I can't since I have no place to play with all those pieces. So it will have to be put on hold. I have decided to work on the kites for the rest of the day and see what I come up with, I really want them to be 3-D - will keep you informed.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:11 AM

Wow! Those are really beautiful! I'm may not do one this round but I'm enjoying watching all your decisions.

Originally Posted by Elisabrat View Post
ok a couple more.. now do you have ideas? if you don't want traditional why not convert a portion of one of these into a quilt of your own?
Old 03-01-2015, 01:50 PM

Hope you show us your kites! and think about it if you can do a row of kites it doesn't take any more space to do a row of landscape lol. one row at a time! three D kites could be really cool. Have you ever checked out three d quilting? what sites or choices did you use? I have done a scrappy quilt for my wall that is made from finger size or smaller scraps but its not quilted? its fused and her way of doing it was by starting from the back of your image and working forward to get the dimensional depth you would want in a picture. so the last row is the image that is closest to you therefore making your picture one with depth vs flat. the closets items are largest right?

I have nothing more than strips cut tomorrow and have decided to go with backing strips also. I will wing it from there. the traditional method of row quilting sure is easier lol. of course. that's why I am chosing to do another one for the sake of trying
Old 03-01-2015, 06:35 PM

I stumbled upon this quite by accident. I didn't know QB had such threads going! (Had only found swaps previously!) Anyway, I've done 2 row-by-row quilts, all traditional. I'd like to do this, too, but can't make up my mind on the theme. I love mountains & Christmas. Hmmmm .... plus a ton of other things as well. I may be far behind everyone, but I will check in every so often. Hoping to use fabrics from my stash as well. (Promises, promises!) I'm really sorry I missed that medallion quilt you spoke of from last year, Linda. I made one round robin quilt & it was spectacular! I would love to do another ... someday!
Old 03-02-2015, 06:08 AM

That medallion quilt was fun. I had Jaba's help and we bothshowed one block a month I did the easy and she did the harder (she is a much better quilter than I will ever be). It was fun. then others did their own blocks and showed their choice and it was so much fun. the farther we got the more choices showed up! I am hoping this works this way here also. I have fabric all over my table and am running over there soon as the man goes to work!

My blocks will be strips cut with 1.5" strips and 2.5" strips for variety. its all shades of blues. each block will be 12.5 inches four blocks total to make up the row for the sky. I am not trying to match edges of my blue strips so the sky will have variations throughout the sky. I am looking outside and currently only seeing a whiter blue on the bottom and a light blue to the top of the sky. that is a bit.. not interesting to me so I will need a more colorful sky in my picture. I love the one shown on the book cover I posted but not enough of those colors. and that looks more like a sunset coloring than a morning sky to me but I am just going on a Wyoming morning. When its clear its always a true blue morning. Its beautiful and its also about 8 outside. stunning from inside my nice warm house. I will post pictures before lunch of my start. I hope I am not alone! a few pictures would be great from other players! are you doing traditional? what are you working for your first row?
Old 03-02-2015, 09:14 AM

ctyankee, You're not late or behind because TODAY is the official start. Some of us just couldn't wait to start talking and planning. There are so many images on google and pinterest that it's hard to decide. First decision is theme, second decision is traditional row quilt or other.

I can't decide on the sky, whether to do strips or blocks. I'm waiting on some batiks coming in the mail, hopefully today and when they arrive I'll have to make a decision. My theme is on Prince of Wales Island in Southeast Alaska. We had a cabin there. I'll be doing some paper piecing for some rows combined with strips or blocks.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:26 PM

ok this is what I did today. I had strips cut in all different sizes from 1.5 to 3.0 and then trimmed as I saw fit. I got three blocks done (OMG 3? for me that is more than double what I normally can do) so I am very happy. its different lol and might try again in a different style with strips but the edges will be sewn at an angle each time so that the sky moves like a sky normally does? I like this too however its artsy and different. I have ONE more block to finish this round and I am so thankful I have another weekend to get there and sew my rows together. Here is a picture showing what I have done so far. don't laugh ok? its not for everyone but my friend Ana will love it because its made by me next time I would do them of similar sizes but with the angle cut which is in my minds eye.. more like a sky might be. but the one that white pines has shown is pretty darned great too. easy all squares. would be fun to try that one also. buy just say one or three fabrics then layer them different heights so you have a variety of landscape. check it out. those trees are all from one print but laid out in different heights!