Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ethical Question >

Ethical Question

Ethical Question

Old 05-20-2010, 05:48 AM

I think just as any fabric designer, paint company or artifical floral company can't tell you what you can do with their product once you buy it, a pattern designer can't tell you what you can do with your finished quilt. I think it all goes back to as long as you aren't claiming the design as your own, you're within the law with whatever you do with your quilt.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
I think just as any fabric designer, paint company or artifical floral company can't tell you what you can do with their product once you buy it, a pattern designer can't tell you what you can do with your finished quilt. I think it all goes back to as long as you aren't claiming the design as your own, you're within the law with whatever you do with your quilt.
I agree, when a designer goes public with his design, in a magazine or as a pattern in shop the one who makes the quilt is free to do with the quilt whatever he wants to do. Keep it, give it away, or sell it.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:52 AM

Copyrights are intended to protect a designer or inventor from having his or her ideas stolen and used by others to make a profit.

If you aren't making a living by designing and selling patterns or quilts, then you do not have anything to worry about as far as breaking copyright laws.

So...let's quilt!
Old 05-20-2010, 10:09 AM
Administrator

there is nothing to be afraid of. read carefully. you will see that you are worrying about nothing.

doing the right thing should never detract from the fun of anything. it should add to it.

Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy
After all the pages of this thread. I'm afraid to buy another pattern. I haven't sold my quilts, yet, I usually give them away. But if I wanted to sell a quilt, is there a quilt police checking every quilt ever sold? I understand it's an ethical question, but it sure is taking the fun out of quilting and replacing it with fear. When a LQS makes a quilt for a sample and then later sells it, do they have to have to asked the designer? Who has this kind of time? Find the designer's address, write the designer, wait for the answer. In the mean time has the buyer changed their mind? How much of the quilt design can you change, the color, size, quilting design stitches? I could not make something exactly the same if I tried nor would I want to.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:10 AM
Administrator

that may be a convenient philosophy, but it is not entirely true.

Originally Posted by walen
If you aren't making a living by designing and selling patterns or quilts, then you do not have anything to worry about as far as breaking copyright laws.

So...let's quilt!
Old 05-20-2010, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by ajpadilla
From the U.S. Copyright Office: "Copyright does not protect ideas, concepts, systems, or methods of doing something. You may express your ideas in writing or drawings and claim copyright in your description, but be aware that copyright will not protect the idea itself as revealed in your written or artistic work."

As a designer myself... I agree. There are many traditional quilt blocks that have been around for centuries (that in itself places them in the public domain). Not only that, you can find certain designs in different cultures. Who is to say who came up with the idea first? Ideas are in fact a part of our collective consciousness as the human race.

In this case, what is protected is the kit itself, along with its instructions. This has happened to me several times with tutorials. The objective of a tutorial is to teach something... a method or idea. If somebody takes that idea and turns around and teaches it to somebody else, that is fair game. What that person cannot do is take my written instructions and photos/illustrations and use them as her/his own.

Does this help? I do think it is too bad that this whole copyright issue has tended to make quilters a little paranoid. Even though I design myself, I certainly wouldn't want fellow quilters to feel stifled about letting their own creativity lose! However, when in doubt, it is always best to ask. Even though designers do not always have things clear, either.

If you Google "copyright" you will find many articles covering the topic that might shed some light for you.
I agree completely with this. In the writer's world, books are copyrighted, but not the age old basic plots of these books. There are no new plots, just a different angle on the same old ones. But if you were to take sections of a book, call it your own and have it published then you would be in violation of copyright laws. But boy meets girl, falls in love, breaks up, etc etc.... what is new here? nothing. But if you change the dynamics with an unusual twist, then it is your creation.

Copyrights have their place, no doubt. But it seems to me that it has gotten out of hand in the quilter's arena. There is money to be made and that's what it's all about.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:16 AM
Power Poster

One of my English instructors used this term:

intertextuality -

Example: I think "West Side Story" has a lot of the same story elements as "Romeo and Juliet" - which was probably based - more or less - on real life events
Old 05-20-2010, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
One of my English instructors used this term:

intertextuality -

Example: I think "West Side Story" has a lot of the same story elements as "Romeo and Juliet" - which was probably based - more or less - on real life events
Here, Here! Well said! (or is that supposed to be Hear Hear!) Oh, well, you know what I mean. :D
Old 05-20-2010, 11:37 AM

Woops...

You are correct; I did leave out a bit! I should have added, as long as you buy a copyrighted pattern or instructions if you intend to make a copyrighted quilt without any modifications, you don't claim it is your original pattern, and you don't resell it, you have nothing to worry about as far as breaking copyright laws.

Sorry, I was adding to my previous comments and didn't clarify my statement.

The laws are there to try to prevent someone from profiting through claiming someone else's copyrighted work as their own and selling it to make a profit.

If you do break the copyright law, the owner of the copyright has the option to sue you for damages or not.

Yes, copyright laws are all about the money.

My concern here is for those quilters who express so much concern about copyrights that they forget why we quilt. A focus on copyright is a good thing; we are clarifying our knowledge of the law.

However, we shouldn't allow this focus to frighten us or to take us far away from the love of quilting, the love of sharing quilting ideas and techniques, and the close bonds that quilters make with each other.

So....now, let's quilt!

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
that may be a convenient philosophy, but it is not entirely true.

Originally Posted by walen

So...let's quilt!
Old 05-20-2010, 11:42 AM

TO JNCT14,the lady who posted the original question: There are various interpretations of copyright laws and court rulings about similar cases. THEREFORE, Copy the pattern and do whatever you please with it. Have fun; enjoy your hobby. If the pattern cops come after you, contact me. I'll defend you pro bono.