Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
walmart material >

walmart material

walmart material

Old 01-19-2011, 07:28 PM

The Wall Mart in Houghton Lake still has a good supply and said they will still have it after reset.
Originally Posted by josiegirl
My local walmart still has material. It ranges in price from $1.50 to $6.00. Of course the $1.50 is not the thickest but the $3 - $4 seems to be nice. Am I missing something in looking at this material? They will be closing this section in about a year and I can really stock up on fabrics of all styles or am I wasting my money?
Old 01-19-2011, 08:23 PM

I went to Walmart this morn. looking for Valentine print to cut &stuff or whatever I would find for my grandaughters. Didnt have any but I found some really nice heavy flannel for .84 a yard !! she said it was Christmas flannel, but there wasnt anything about it that looked Christmas purple and greens, very pretty. there was 4 yards left!!! oh boy!! 100% cotton. I wont touch the unknown content either. you can find some nice fabric.But I do get irriatated with them for bringing in all that cheapo stuff.if they would care about their fabric dept. they would prob. bring in a lot of cash!!
Old 01-19-2011, 08:26 PM

when the good cotton goes higher, that material at Walmart may start looking better and better. I never had any complaints.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:12 PM

I've never had a real problem with WalMart fabric. Thankfully mine is one of the ones that still have fabric. I don't buy all they have and I wouldn't have anywhere else. I am with Carol--I get tired of people bashing WalMart. Some of the clothes that used to cost big bucks in designer shops is now carried by them. My sister complains that everything they have is from out of the country. I keep telling her to go to Belks, Sears, Penney's or any other shop and see if she can find anything made in the USA. I wish Sam Walton was still here--he really believed in shopping USA-made items.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:15 PM

I feel like you just have to look at the weave of the fabric. Some of the cheap stuff they have you can read thru it. Some are pretty nice.
Robin in TX
Old 01-19-2011, 09:31 PM

I live in Brownwood TX and they are packing new fabric into every available hole at the Wal-Mart here.. They have the precuts 5 yds for$6. Really bad stuff. They have really expanded like crazy the stuff on the bolts. What really gets to me as far as fabric shopping there is they only have about one shopping cart width on each side of the cutting table between the table and the fabric. If someone is at the cutting table you can't get to the fabric. Hopefully since inventory is greatly increasing that will work on the space problem. They are great for backing fabrics.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
Are Walmart is shutting down the fabric dept too. I really like ALOT of their fabric!
Not all of them. They actually got enough grief here they brought it back and now they seem to be expanding.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
it's a hoot, really. the David's selling now at WalMart ($2.97 per yard at mine) is also selling at both of the big chain stores ($7.99 per yard). i've also seen it in quilt shops (in person and online) for $8.99 and $9.99 per yard.

no kidding. cross my heart. the exact same fabrics. at the same time.

guess where i buy mine? :lol:

our Walmart - despite saying they're shutting down the fabric department next month - has expanded the selection of manufacturers and price points. as always (and as can be the case in high end shops) some are stinkers and some are gems.

what fun - no matter where you're shopping - to find the gems for the best prices. :-)
Old 01-19-2011, 09:59 PM
Dee

I have a lot of Wally in my stash. I can say I have never had any problems with it. I sure miss it.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by great aunt jacqui
Ive bought 5yds each of the $1.50 yd, believe it or not a lot of mine was pretty good. All I needed was backing for 3tops and found colors that would match. Washed and ironed today. They were getting a lot more fabric in. they could hardly shove them between other fabric. The button dept has expanded thats good sign. no talk of it closing here in rindge nh,
Somersworth, NH got rid of all their fabric about 8 months ago.
Consider yourself very blessed!