Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"slider" for fmq.... >

"slider" for fmq....

"slider" for fmq....

Old 02-24-2011, 12:01 PM

I have read where some have used the oven liners from the Bed Bath and Beyond. I have bought one at the Christmas Tree shop for 5.00. Has anyone tried this idea?
Old 02-24-2011, 12:09 PM
Power Poster

I have the supreme slider. I used it for several quilts, and then for some reason forgot to put it on for one, and, didn't miss it at all. Now I don't use it anymore.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:10 PM

What exactly does it do. I looked at the website but it did'nt say how it worked.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:49 PM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
I would buy a Sew Slip mat, instead - it's twice as big and it costs less than the Supreme Slider. Here's one on eBay, so you can see what it looks like:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=120606839114

It's sticky on the back so it stays put, but it's very slippery on top, so your quilt glides over it. I can tell a definite difference between using and not using the mat.

If your feed dogs don't lower, you can enlarge the hole in the mat to expose the whole area of the feed on the needle plate. If you don't, you will get lots of skipped stitches.

The back loses its grip if it gets dusty/linty, so you just rinse it under cold water and let it air dry and it's sticky again.
This is the one I have and can highly recommend it... :-D
Old 02-24-2011, 01:44 PM

I have one too, and if I forget to put it on the machine and start doing FMQ, I very quickly notice and get it out. Sure does help me. I have never had a quilt get caught on the edge.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:01 PM
Kas

Originally Posted by Sew 'N Sew
Originally Posted by Kas
The pink one is bigger than the original and has the $ back to breast cancer thing. There is another company (can't remember the name right now) that has a white one that is even bigger. It doesn't seem as smooth to me. I have them both. I wouldn't fmq without mine anymore. It really does help the quilt sandwich glide better. I just wish it was much bigger.
Do you have any problem with the quilt getting hung-up on the corners of the slider?
No problems with that if the sticky on the back is clean and so is my sewing table. I have cut it with the needle when removing it, though. So I have to remember to take out the needle first, or pay very close attention!
Old 02-24-2011, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
I think you could get the same effect with cheap vinyl from Walmart. With the vinyl, you can cover as large an area as you can create to surround your needle.
I tried the vinyl to cover spaces I'm cabinet. The quilt still drags so I got some sewing silicone spray at Hancocks - defintrly helps.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:09 PM
Kas

Originally Posted by ljgraham
What exactly does it do. I looked at the website but it did'nt say how it worked.
It is a silicone sheet that reduces the friction between your quilt sandwich and the sewing table. Your quilt moves much easier and you don't have to work as hard to move it around when free motion quilting. It has a self-stick side that you press to the machine bed and your table.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:19 PM

I read a handy hint about sliders- get the teflon oven protector, slide under the needle to figure out where to put the hole.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:51 PM

Go to the Dollar Store and buy, two for $1) the thin plastic sheets made to chop vegetables on. Cut out a square hole for the needle area of your machine, and duct tape the edges of the sheet to the machine.
It does make the fabric slide easier.