Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"slider" for fmq.... >

"slider" for fmq....

"slider" for fmq....

Old 02-25-2011, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Sew 'N Sew
Originally Posted by Kas
The pink one is bigger than the original and has the $ back to breast cancer thing. There is another company (can't remember the name right now) that has a white one that is even bigger. It doesn't seem as smooth to me. I have them both. I wouldn't fmq without mine anymore. It really does help the quilt sandwich glide better. I just wish it was much bigger.
Do you have any problem with the quilt getting hung-up on the corners of the slider?
I have just been taking a free motion class & the teacher said the reason the corners come up is that they have lint on them. You can wash them, but need to lay them to dry or use a lint roller.
Incidently, I got a fairly big one at Viking for $25.00 and if you take a class (here they didn't care where) you get a discount.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:43 AM

I wouldn't use double faced tape near the needle as your quilt could stick long enough to the tape to cause a pucker. I use the vinyl and tape it onto my sewing table in front of the machine and farther back on the table my quilt slides onto. I use different sizes of vinyl depending on how big the project. I also have purchased the different thickness' of vinyl and so far any of them are working for me. Also I use packaging tape which comes off only when I lift it off. Tried the blue painters tape and that gave way so now will just use the pkg. tape. Hope this helps.

Good Luck

Suzy
Old 02-25-2011, 08:53 AM

I would recommend trying the vinyl from wal mart or where ever you can buy it by the yard. I believe it is 54 inches wide and I use it all the time. It doesn't cost much either. I also got one of there round tubes it comes on so when I take it off I have a place to store it. I wouldn't quilt without it. What I like about the vinyl is I can cover so much more area than just the slider. I do take the slider to classes because you don't always have a large space like I have at home. Just tape it down good and you won't have a problem with it.

Good Luck

Suzy
Old 02-25-2011, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by suebee
Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Originally Posted by llcox
I not familiar with the "slider". I've been trying to fmq and not doing so hot. I need all the help I can get. Could someone send me a link so I can see what you are talking about. I am assuming it is for a reg. sewing machine, not a longarm. Right?
The one I have is called Supreme Slider. I'll look for a link

http://www.amazon.com/LaPeirre-Supre...1?ie=UTF8&qid=
I also saw "Queen Supreme Slider" (bigger), but Im wondering if anyone had tried the vinyl from Walmart....did it work??
what kind of vinyl?
Old 02-25-2011, 01:23 PM

It is clear vinyl on a roll. Comes in different thicknesses. The times that I have purchased it at Wal Mart I have found it on a rack with the oil cloth fabrics that some people use for a table cloth. Hope this helps.

Suzy
Old 02-25-2011, 02:42 PM

I bought one and don't like it, but I may try it again sometime.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Sew 'N Sew
I'm interested in your opinion of using a pink "slider" for fmq -- does it make the quilt move more smoothly as you sew and is it worth $30?
I am very much interested in the replies to this. I have one on the way but it is white. Don't know if there is a difference. I am hoping it will help me keep my stitches more even in size as I FMQ.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by llcox
I not familiar with the "slider". I've been trying to fmq and not doing so hot. I need all the help I can get. Could someone send me a link so I can see what you are talking about. I am assuming it is for a reg. sewing machine, not a longarm. Right?
I ordered mine from Keepsake quilting. Yes it is for a regular sewing machine. Online on Keepsake quilting's site look under machine accessories. They also have it in their catalogue.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:44 PM

I have one but seldome use it. Fabric always get tangled up with it. There is a Silecone Spray tat you can get at Hancock Fabrics that you can spray on a rag and buff your sewing machine bed and acrylic table that works just as well and it is only $10. And will last for a year or more. Don't spray on your machine, Spray the rag.